Engine Chain better tight or little lose?

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Not much to add to the question. I just installed a new engine and have another angle compared to before and with the tensioner in lowest position its basically perfectly tight. So whats the experience? Better tight or little lose?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
1/2 to 3/4" slack is what we recommend. Looser and you stand a chance of the chain bunching up on the engine sprocket under deceleration or jumping off the rear sprocket. Too tight will cause rough running and wear on all drive components.

Tom

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
you can swing the tensioner back a little towards the rear hub to tighten a bit more, or towards the front where the crank is, for a little looser fit. Also, don't forget, at first, you need it a bit tighter because it will naturally loosen up a bit after a few miles of riding. It's going to honestly need a bit of adjusting every once in a while. Just monitor your chain, if it's too loose, adjust, but not too tight. You'll feel it when it's right..

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Too tight will pop a bit and make some noise usually-

I always recommend a 415 Industrial/ TRIKE chain (e-bay 0r Amazon) about 15 shipped- same 415 width, lower profile plates - it weighs less- by about 1/2 ! - and rolls much easier and quieter.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I STRONGLY recommend you tack weld the tensioner to the frame to keep it from rotating into the wheel.