Sloppy clutch assembly?

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ok, so I took apart the primary drive on the new to me engine.
The whole insides of the gearcase is an oily, greasy, sticky, black mess.
The clutch pucks are dripping with oil. I know that these primarys are supposed to be dry, with a light coat of grease on the gear teeth only. Oil in the clutch is a BIG no no!
I removed all of the friction pucks to wash them in paint thinner, hoping to save them from a slippery death. After doing so I decided to visually explore the black, greasy, sticky, clutch in my hands. I found the 53 or so tiny ball bearings by looking through the 3 tiny holes drilled through the backside of the clutch. I also noticed that the ring gear/ puck holder has about 0.020 radial play on the clutch hub. This seems to be waaaaay too much play to me. It will cause the gear engagement between the clutch gear and the engine's pinion shaft gear to wander in and out of mesh.
How much is too much radial play? How much of a sloppy fit dos this assembly have when new?
My chin got bruised when my jaw dropped and hit my bench top! I can't believe that this primary even works without breaking off the gear teeth..... :eek: