chains chains everywhere a chain

GoldenMotor.com

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
If your chain tensioner bolts to the frame with only two bolts, you need to wrap it as Deacon indicates and really tighten it down. Check the chain alignment too, just to be certain everything is tracking straight. Besides breaking spokes, a loose tensioner can cause the chain to derail and lock up the rear wheel....very bad news if you are traveling very fast.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
What was it my doctor said about motorcycles in general, oh yeah ride it long enough and it will kill you. Heck that's the appeal of them.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So today I installed my new chain on the improved bike. I got the chain a kmc 415h from a local bike shop believe it or not. I had to get five inches of chain from the old chain so it would fit. no idea why it was so short but it was.

Took all morning to break chain and make it go back together. Different brands seem to be a bit different in size. I got it all to work only to discover that now my bike chain is too short. I was about to fix that when I realized the tired was flat. I got that fixed and discovered the wheel is 'S' shaped. I tightened my own spokes without a stand.

The wheel is now at the bike shop to be straightened. Gives us both something to do I suppose. Funny thing is my balance has been off again today. I may have to give the bike away and go back to the slower safer electros.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Wow, what a series of unfortunate events. The reason your new chain is short is because its a 20" BMX chain and a darn good chain at that, they were never intended to go on a 24" or 26" bike. Hope to hear your ridding again soon...Kelly

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Joe I have been thinking that as well. I'm sure that it may come to that and frankly except for the getting it in and out of the storage building it would be a pretty good compromise. The other downside I hear is that they handle like crap.

However it is definitely my next build I think. I can only imagine how terrible they would be to start from a stop sign on an uphill grade. I might go electric with a trike it would probably be easier. Just put a 250 watt friction drive on each wheel. I happen to have the motors laying around right now.

By the way all the old chain that came from the junk bikes I have been buying is so rotten (rusted) that I can't get a clean break. I'm going to buy one of those five dollar chains at wally mart when I go next.

anybody got a good plan to mount a china girl engine on a trike.

Nill

Sep 16, 2009
Maine
Do chains actually stretch? I had a used one that worked fine for 150 miles... then it needed tightening. Last night, even though it seemed tight, it jumped off the rear sprocket. Does it need replacement? Zoombicycles sent a heavy duty chain in their kit, but it did not fit on my bike (either rubbed the tire or the stay) so I had to use a regular bike chain.

Bill

Homer

Apr 20, 2009
SW Houston
Yes chains "stretch" as they wear so adjusting it once and while is just maintenance. If the Chain is tight and still comes off something is off, maybe the sprocket on the rear wheel is mounted out of round. The original chain in my kit last well over a thousand miles with cleaning and lubing.
I have been using the KMC 710H 1/2 x 1/8 (heavy duty bmx) for about a thousand miles and it easily puts up with being motorized. It is narrower the the original but it fit the front and rear sprockets.

Just enjoying the miles.
Homer

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the biggest problem with chains isn't stretch, it's the wear that your sprockets get. i've had plenty of vintage bikes, and the chains wear a groove into them, or more accurately, eat away at the teeth. i've bought bikes without chains, and when i'd put a new one on, it pops off, because it no longer fits. the cogs are worn so bad, that a new chain just can't get seated into the teeth. i've bought some bikes where the sprockets looked like sawblades.

i dunno where i'm going with this, because i've had a lot to drink tonight. sorry.

Nill

Sep 16, 2009
Maine
Yes chains "stretch" as they wear so adjusting it once and while is just maintenance. If the Chain is tight and still comes off something is off, maybe the sprocket on the rear wheel is mounted out of round. The original chain in my kit last well over a thousand miles with cleaning and lubing.
I have been using the KMC 710H 1/2 x 1/8 (heavy duty bmx) for about a thousand miles and it easily puts up with being motorized. It is narrower the the original but it fit the front and rear sprockets.

Just enjoying the miles.
Homer
Thank you Homer. I put on a new chain...it was good and tight but after 10 miles I had to tighten it again, and today, after about 6 miles it looks like it will need tightening again in a short while. Has yours required that much attention?

Bill