Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's an odd little extra to the moped classification in Britain, and it probably doesn't apply in the rest of Europe, but a moped can have up to 4kw power from and source except a spark ignition engine; this means an over 50cc single cylinder diesel is an option, and even a hot bulb ignited petrol engine. So long as it stays within size abd weight restrictions, it's fine.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Further to this, we have a Low Power Moped classification, which requires 25kph max, and capable of pedalling by the rider. I will have to read to see if it applies to solos only, or trikes and quads.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Can't remember the name, but another fairground manufacturer built at least one for road use, 98 Villiers in the back. I believe it did the slowest ever world tour or something like that.

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
Hello Steve

Are you allowed to buy an older car frame with the body removed and put your own body on it with the proper window glass and windscreen wipers, head lights ect. on it in Germany?
Sorry, that it takes so long for an answer, so here it is:
For a DIY motor car in Germany it doesn't matter if you have a frame or not.
In every case you have to pass an expensive technical inspection.
The check needs a five-figure amount of money.
It's called the "EinzelBetriebsErlaubnis" or "EBE", which means "Single Operating Permission"
And it's a lot easier, if you build a kit car from a producer than building all by yourself from scrap.

Back to the Velocar:
Luckily, the Pedelec status here depends not on the number of wheels.
After all the informations given here, I think now it's good to be in Europe with my velocar.
I can legally put an electric motor on it.
Maybe it's not that powerful, but better than no motor at all.

Kai

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Zoran,

Now that I see the photos you did post them before. I had forgotten. Too bad you didn't get to finish it.
When I get a chance I'll have to see if a three wheeled vehicle using a motorcycle that has been stripped down for power can be registered. I'll never build one but it would be fun to know if it's possible here.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is a subversive thought. If you have a 250w electric motor to be legal, does the law prevent you from carrying a quickly removable extra motor, of whatever wattage, for "use off the public highway". I mean, what sort of person would clip a totally silent and undetectable power unit into place in order to be safer on a road? They would be Bad Citizens, wouldn't they? Nobody here would think of doing that, I'm sure, oh no.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Rytecraft Scootacar :)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]... there are a few photos attached with this very Globe-trotter Rytecraft![/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]My friends in Belgrade have one, but ruined: without wheels, engine and transmission, upholstery. Do not have possibilities to reconstruct it and do not want to make some bastard of it using modern scooter components. Some 15 years ago, one of them saw it on junk-yard truck (somebody clean backyard shed) and while he found a friend with a car and arrived at junk-yard – Gypsies were faster and removed off it and took everything valuable (it was complete and good looking just hour ago).[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]It could be interested for Serbian history of motorisation, because King Alexander of Yugoslavia, bought one like that for his sons – to drive it around palace... His wife Queen Maria was passionate motorist, competing in a few rallies. Not one other Rytecraft was known in old Yugoslavia - so, maybe this one could be that of King's sons. Unfortunately, I do not have any photo, in spite that they exist. A few photos have my old friends from Serbian Society of Automobile Historians.[/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Ludwig,
Maybe I should be that bad person and non-loyal citizen to this tidy Swiss (in Serbia, I would go that way for sure)...

If I go to class of "light three-wheeler, or quadricycle", meaning MOPED, I am afraid that 50 cc gasoline engine should be too weak for two of us and 4 Kilowatts Diesel too expensive (in serious motorized velocar). Than, as Kai wrote - there is expensive process of attesting and legislation, in Swiss probably even more than in Germany.

So - one 250 Watts electric motor on my present HPV-quadricycle, to check officials and maybe registered it without too many complications. Then, go "Serbian Way" - adjusting possibilities and performances to our needs: got more power from that motor, or add another (or both variants). The main: not behave as lunatic and nobody should care for two pensioners gliding silently at speeds up to 25 km/hour (legal and enough), smiling and saluting policemen (if saw one - they are quite rare).

Later, transformed it to velocar as more practical nad more cute then my present HPV-quadricycle.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What are the rules concerning cross border use? If the vehicle is only used occasionally on Swiss roads, say a total of 3 months every year, without needing Swiss registration, could it be officially stored elsewhere?

I spent years formulating rules for a motorcycle racing series, and I have developed an unfortunate habit of deviousness.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]BaW,
As all buck-board cars, this one is magnificent! Only, it is smaller than usual (for kids?), or just has too big head-lights and register-plate?

Because of simplicity, it could be my choice for motorised quadricycle, if ever built: simplest, quickest and cheapest possible project. I even have detailed plans for replica, made by Everett Moore, well-known in horseless-carriage-replicas groups.

Only, I would make seats a little higher: the first for comfort and the second for decency, as IWW said. Tow pensioners shouldn't need to look too funny and even stupid? Such cars by themselves would be enough funny sight on streets of Bern... There are a few versions with some bonnets/hoods added. Maybe some light top, for protection from Sun and for safer appearance on a road...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]P.S.: Even great and famous persons could use such cars with dignity: King Leoplod of Belgium as companion to Etore Bugatti!
[/FONT]

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
By Jove! It's Barely's Bug-eyed Red Bug Buckboard! I love the headlights on the thing! Imagine you're out for an evening stroll, back in the day, and you see these HUGE headlights coming at you! They're GIGANTIC! You hurry off to the side, prepared to let some monstrous behemoth go by,...and here comes this little buckboard. (!) And you think to yourself "Well played, little motorcar! Well played indeed!"

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
By Jove! It's Barely's Bug-eyed Red Bug Buckboard! I love the headlights on the thing! Imagine you're out for an evening stroll, back in the day, and you see these HUGE headlights coming at you! They're GIGANTIC! You hurry off to the side, prepared to let some monstrous behemoth go by,...and here comes this little buckboard. (!) And you think to yourself "Well played, little motorcar! Well played indeed!"
Ha ha, I love it Allen. I can just visualise that with my mind's eye. :D

Some time ago I posted this page from some scans of French plans I have and surprise surprise what form does the chassis take, - a jolly old buckboard of course.