Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

Thank you for posting the photo of the Rat Catchers Trike. I had seen it in passing on a site with trikes but had forgotten about it. It would make entry and exit easy and has the look we are talking about.

Do you remember Curt sending Silverbear the centers from a pair of lawn tractor wheels. Silverbear made up washers that he drilled holes in for the spokes and then drilled out the centers to fit over the axles and I welded them to the ends of the wheel centers to form wheel hubs that locked on to the axle with square key stock.
Curt sent information as to where you can buy the centers without having to take the wheels apart. The information will all be in Silverbears hybrid trike thread.

The Go Kart sellers have a mount that fits on the axle not the differential hub and a disc brake bolts to it and a caliper mount suspends the caliper over the disk. This will stop you quickly from what I've seen from Go Karts. I've bought from B.M.I. Go Karts and found them good to deal with but there must be local Go Kart suppliers in N.Z.

I would think that and a disc brake on the front wheel would stop you perfectly well so long as you keep it under 50 mph. :)

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here is a chap installing an axle in a go kart. With a differential axle the bearings need to be as close as possible to the differential and the other two as close as possible to the outside ends for support.

The bearings can be bought from a go kart supply and allow you to remove and reinstall the axle easily over using pillow block bearings.

Steve.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...olcE9ghx6QrdJTCexGa8kmrQ&ust=1440478477938424

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for posting the pedicab and go-kart links, Steve. I've been busy trying to visualize a rear end which will bolt onto the 63 Schwinn rear wheel dropouts to convert it to the differential axle with Villiars engine and Atco housing assembly (clutch, foot starter, etc.) Something which could perhaps be made up elsewhere (say B.C. for example) and sent to Minnesota sometime for the bolting on and final melding (welding?) together of bike frame to trike conversion. Help me think this through even if I'm the guy welding up the trike conversion. On the cart I see round stock, but as you know we are materials rich in free bed frame stock from da dump. Are the side mount bearings inherently better than pillow block bearings for this application & if so, why?

Back when we had the components laid out for staring at a year ago we were picturing you doing a lot of welding. Since it may well be me doing the welding, the fewer welds and more bolts, the better. And even if it translates to a bit of dead space at the dropouts, leaving the bike frame parts intact and adding to them for the conversion should leave the frame nice and strong. Adding a bit more to the over-all length of the converted frame is not a concern. Was also picturing in me little brain additional supports which might affix to the Schwinn with split collars to avoid welding to the bike frame or even more simply with U bolts. Best for me would be a conversion which bolted to the existing bike frame. This will be a heavy duty rig no matter how you look at it and someday it might very well get body panels (even if just fabric like bill-board tarp) for a light truck rat catcher. A comfy seat and roof over one's head has a lot of appeal, especially when it is raining...

...old Peter Greengrow putts along in the rat catcher, riding through fog and rain on assignment for a few snarling rats or a boil or two wanting to be lanced... a cuppa tea would be nice and a warm sit by the stove at end of day would be a comfort... wouldn't it now, eh?
SB

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I see I steard up some brain waves. LOL
Steve thanks for the links,will do the looking when I get home. I am in the motor home for a short trip and have had no service. SB if you have the link to them hubs could you send it to me,or post it here,till later..............Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Thanks for the useful links Steve, - plenty of food for thought there :)

Just a quick message as I've been off-line for a couple of days because the server for our home network failed and I've been helping my daughter to get everything up and running again.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here we are. Looked at Silverbears build thread for the trike for the piece that Curt sent him to make the wheels out of and it turned into a trip down memory lane.
I was so much younger and better looking last summer.

Fortunately I remembered what it was since I couldn't find it on the thread. It's a shaft coupler and here is where you can get them. Burden Sales/The Surplus Center and the 3/4" part # is 1-1563-C in case the link is gone.

Steve.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-STEEL-SHAFT-COUPLER-1-1563-C-/291104446703

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Silverbear,

It was a treat looking back at last year on your thread. The way things are going I wouldn't bet on me to build anything. I'm months from having my knee done as yet since I'm headed to a specialty clinic with a huge waiting time and it's a year recovery after they do get to it and that's only if I'm a willing participant in the physical torture of rehab.

While the wait is on the planning hasn't stopped. If my son gets here and has time to do some building I'll turn him loose with the gathered materials but that will be next spring at best and he is heading to Alaska so his time may be limited when he gets here.
I have the other frame here so we will use that as a pattern.

I prefer the bearing that this chap used simply because the axle, once loosened, drops out. Pillow blocks have to be unbolted as well but they have the bolts going through the frame and if the body is sitting on top of the bolts is would/could be a nightmare to get to them. I think they are a lot more money as well.

The way the Rat Catchers frame is built intrigues me. With the frame coming down from the forks like it does there is a base for floor boards and a floor to roof dash board and windshield. Add removable doors and the Intrepid Wheel Women of the World will never again have to get wet while traveling.

Use moped forks and the road will be smooth where ever you go.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve,
I thought as much regarding your recovery time and the compressed time schedule of your son. The one who does have time on his hands is me, so that is why I'm thinking more about my own less elegant version of the trike rear end conversion using minor welding and good old bolts. No doubt there are any number of ways to do it, I just have to come up with one which is within my financial and fabrication means.

And as I am contemplating that rear end project I can get the Villiars in good running order and also work out the bugs with the electrical component by setting up the bike as a two wheeler initially.

Since this is my future "mobility scooter" it is a must do build no matter how long it takes. Such advise as you and Anne are willing to give will be much appreciated.

SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Good trouble it is
About the bearings they can be had at Tractor Supply or here at Fleet Farm, and the center inserts are the same. It's just the mountings that are different,so what ever works best.
I think rat catching is catching on................Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Such advice as I can give is yours to have Silverbear :)

Yes Curt, ratcatching is catching on :D
Seriously though such a vehicle would be ideal for me as a general purpose carry-all for getting around the township. We do have regular bring and buy type markets in the township as well and I wouldn't mind being able to have a go myself as a trader. Owning a nice little trike van with fold out side panels would be just the thing methinks. 'Intrepid Curios and Bric-a-brac', - yes I like the sound of that ;)

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,

It's just sitting down and doing it that's the worst of it. As soon as your are over the initial caution your away to the races and then the challenge of getting it right kicks in and you will forget that you couldn't do it.

Watch the videos on the net and then look at the comments to see what the pro's say about what was done. The manufacturing companies that make the welders and supplies have a lot of videos to show you what to do and and what to avoid.

Practice weld on waste pieces until you feel comfortable doing it and before you know it your ready.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curt,

The rat catching caught me and they said there wasn't a trap that could catch the old rat. :)
The bearings are indeed a personal choice. Unfortunately Tractor Supply hasn't come to our part of Canada. I think a lot of companies are afraid of crossing over the mountains.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Anne,

The Raleigh Light Van is just what I was meaning. With the lower floor like the Rat Catcher that makes getting in and out easier but protected from the weather like the Raleigh it would be the ideas vehicle.

I am looking for tubing in 90 and 45 degree angles to make the frame bends easier to do.
Then it's a matter of cutting the tubing to length and fitting into the angles and welding or brazing them into place. I make it sound easy don't I.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Silverbear,

It's just sitting down and doing it that's the worst of it. As soon as your are over the initial caution your away to the races and then the challenge of getting it right kicks in and you will forget that you couldn't do it.

Watch the videos on the net and then look at the comments to see what the pro's say about what was done. The manufacturing companies that make the welders and supplies have a lot of videos to show you what to do and and what to avoid.

Practice weld on waste pieces until you feel comfortable doing it and before you know it your ready.

Steve.
Wish I had a place to work with the welding this winter, but I don't. I'll try to get in some practice welding this fall before snow is on the ground. Maybe even get the rear end tacked together. A better helmet (helmet with better visibility) would help. Can I just get a different glass for that Harbor Freight helmet or do I need a better quality helmet?
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The helmets that I use are auto darkening as is the one there and the $100 and up ones use better quality optics and electronics. The Harbour Freight helmet will work OK to start. It just darkened more than I wanted and made it hard to see the work but your eyesight is better than mine and I'd see how it works to start. If the battery needs replacing they are watch batteries and they are inside the helmet near the window.

Just make sure that the metal is clean and free of rust and paint ect. and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't worry about trying to get to the frame. It remains to be seen how I come out of the knee business after two back to back operations. Not good I'm sure but they always look to the worst when advising you of what is going to happen.

Steve.