micargi puma gts newbie build

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca

Got the switch placed where I wanted it. Fyi the nt cable fits the rt carb great with the adjuster from the nt carb in place of the curved one from the rt carb. The barrel on the cable just needs to be trimmed almost half its length. I was almost thinking of using the push connectors for the wiring for the ignition but after I tested everything made sure my wiring was correct I disconnected one plug and it came apart. so I did it the right way and soldered all the connections and used heat shrink tubing.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
One thing I noticed when I pulled my old motor was that there was oil around the case gasket as if it was leaking a bit. That would account for the lack of power I had. It looked like there was no gasket between the case halves but looked like they just used gasket silicone cause there was some squeezed out. The dax motor just looks so much better quality wise. The only thing I had to do to it was adjust the magnet to magneto clearance. Everything was torqued good. I plan on taking it for a test ride tomorrow.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Went for a ride today and all I can say is wow. This motor was awesome. It fired right up and ran great. No four stroking and was really smooth. It topped out at 30mph. I was going easy on it but couldn't resist a wot run for a few seconds. The only thing that went wrong was my carb was coming lose but can't come off since the air cleaner is too close to the seat tube. I tightened it when I got to work so that's taken care of. The idle screw had to be all the way in to have a good idle but that might be because the carb was loose or cause it's a new motor but that was fine cause it idled great. I know the motor will only get stronger with time too but I'm so happy with it right now though.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
One question. When I'm cruising around 25-28mph and I let off the throttle with the clutch still engaged it feels like the bike jolts or chugs like a stick shift car. Is this normal for a higher compression motor? I'm not really too concerned about it but just curious.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So after a couple more rides it's still running good. Although it does have just a little bit of four stroking but right now I don't mind as I'm still breaking it in.I really like how easy it starts up. I got it to go 31mph but I didn't really feel comfortable going that fast but it's nice knowing I can. The front disc brake stops the bike great too, stops quick without skidding. Acceleration is good, from 10-25mph it pulls good and strong. Gets up to speed really quick and even pulls from 25-30 just as quick. I checked the motor temp today after my ride home and the hottest was about 175f so I know it's running rich but after it's broken in I'll lean it or just a bit.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
It's getting stronger and stronger every time I ride. It hit 32 today and had more in it too. I think I just have to get comfortable with the new speed. I only ride it for about 20 minutes at a time.idles getting better too.runs strong but fits have a little four stroking at certain speeds so I'll see after I run a couple tanks of gas through it.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So today I noticed the intake manifold was cracked at where the tube meets the flange at the motor. It's cracked almost half way around the tube so that's probably why I'm having trouble getting the idle right. I emailed dax so hopefully he can help me out. If not no big deal.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Outstanding Quality Control. Its a worthwhile battle...but a battle none the less to get these sorted out.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
It's really not that big a deal since I have a newer stock one that I replaced on my old motor and also one that I port matched. So I have a spare but I just thought it'd be nice to get a replacement since I spent so much on the motor.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca

After I took it off it just broke completely in half. Good thing it didn't happen while riding. I emailed dax so the pictures so I'll see what he says. It just seems to me that it was a bad casting. But for now I have my old intake manifold(non port matched one) on so at least I can ride it still

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So dax got back to me and is sending me a new manifold. Awesome customer service and exactly the reason I bought from him. I also found that the air filter was spinning on the rubber part holding it onto the carb and left some rubber shavings on the inside, so I took it apart and jb welded the air filter to the rubber part so it won't spin. I hope that makes sense.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Just got a package from dax and to my surprise it was my new manifold. Awesome customer service and I got the part super fast. I'll for sure be ordering from him again. The manifold even looks like he cleaned it up inside and out.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So after putting the new manifold on it idled great but it did 4 stroke allot at higher rpm which makes sense to me. It also lost a couple mph but it's running richer now that the air leak is fixed. So after a couple tanks of fuel I'll lean the carb by one jet at a time. The motor temps are low right now and since is 4 stroking I know it's rich. The motor came with the jet kit so switching it will be easier. Not much else to report on. The bike is running great, the disc brake has been working great. I plan on repacking my wheel bearings soon. It's been a fun bike it gets tons of looks and comments.

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
Looking good. Im excited to start my build in earnest, got most of the preliminaries out of the way, and im about to start ordering actual parts for the bike. My wheels, brakes, and gears will cost as much as the motor and trans. Its gonna be an awesome long lasting bike though. Will post pics when i get started.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Been riding a couple weeks with no issues. It's running very rich still though and is 4 stroking at higher rpms. I only have about 100 miles on the new motor so it's almost time to tune the carb and can't wait. I'm only getting about 27mph top speed right now.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I installed one jet size smaller as it was running way too rich. It runs much better now. It still 4 stroke a bit at high rpm and just a touch of smoke but that's ok it can cruise at 27-28mph and tops out around 33mph so to me that's perfect.