will a sturmey archer 3 speed hub hold up to motored biking?

GoldenMotor.com

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i cant afford to shell out over sixty bucks for a new back wheel, and i happen to have an old wheel with a sturmey archer aw hub on it that i could put togeather cheaper and probley even get the gears working.

if your using one of these hubs, let me know how they hold up.

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
well that sucks to hear
i got the three speed on my bike planning to run the shift kit through it
i guess if it explodes ill save up for the nuvinci

hope it lasts a little while

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
for the record on this post, im not looking to run the engine to the sturmeys drive sprocket, my only concern is the constant high speed freewheeling perhaps disentegrating things. if its always oiled up i dont think ill have a problem? i definitly wouldnt run a shift kit through one, i think it would gernade

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Humsuckler,
The old S.A. hub should server you just fine. The engine puts no stress or strain on the bike hub. Unless of course you plan to run a shift kit. The motor torque is only applied to the spokes, rim and tire.
Tom

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I watched Roland from spookytooth grenade his jack-shaft driven 3spd hub at this years deathrace...
they don't hold up to the torque of these little engines

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I watched Roland from spookytooth grenade his jack-shaft driven 3spd hub at this years deathrace...
they don't hold up to the torque of these little engines
so lets say your running a 3 speed occ rear hub, do you think that wil hold? I would like to plan a chopper build and was wondering about that!

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
the truth is, planetary 3 speeds are designed for pedal power, arguably (and i will argue it) you can put more pressure with your two feet on pedals than the small 5hp engine can however, leg power is spiky, and not constant.

if you baby the 3 speed, and be mindful to shift the gears with zero load it may hold up, but common sence says that it wont, and shouldnt.

now, if you use a regular clamshell and leave the 3 speed to your legs you shouldnt have a problem so long as the spokes are all good to go and you oil the hub with gear oil every second day.

moving parts wear out, and moving parts break when you overstress them, there is a middle ground tho.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have seen 3 occ hubs go bad so far
2, the freewheels seized, (ever seen a man's legs pumpin at 30mph)
the other, the bearings grenaded the hub (last years tucson ralley)

they where all cruiser(normal) occ wheels ridden by azvinnie (my son-in-law)
but...if they are any indication of the quality of the 3spd, I wouldn't chance it IMHO

realdigga

Jul 12, 2009
Australia
does anyone know where i can find an oversized geared hub to use in a chopper, my new build is custom designed for a electric hub motor inside a standard chopper 20"x4 1/4 " wheel but the frame will need a axle 190mm wide, heres a link to the bike i got, i think ill get around 3litres into the (soon to be)in frame gas tank ..this is gonna be a cool ride... AusEBike: The Australian Electric Bike

Ksw

Jul 11, 2009
Texas
Hey Humsuckler,

did you put the aw on? Is it holding up.
I'm having sprocket issues with my s3c hub, how'd you do yours?

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
Hey Humsuckler,

did you put the aw on? Is it holding up.
I'm having sprocket issues with my s3c hub, how'd you do yours?

i never actually ran with it, i figured id rather not use a 20+ year old wheel under my butt and bought a replacment new one. so i cant answer that for you

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Jus' an update...

I've now got well over 3500 miles on my (usta be new lol) Sturmey Archer X-RD3 three speed - with a jackshaft shifter kit through it for every single one of 'em & there's not been even the slightest problem w/the hub :D

Attachments

Last edited:

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
New Member Hi Dudes, I think they will hold up myself. Common sense tells me that my 500 lbs. leglift legs can put a **** load of torque on a rear hub. There is no friggin way a measley little 32-66cc two stroke is going to put more actual load on the rear hub than I can. Little 2 strokes can be fast but torqueless. And torque is what tears crap up more than speed or horse power ever did ! On that note I am going ahead with my OCC Stingray,Skyhawk , power ran thrue a 3 speed hub build ! WE WILL FIND OUT ! If Im just a know it all LOL. John

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I have been using an old SA 3speed as a jackshaft for a month now and the only issue is at high loads in hi gear, it drop in and out a bit. !st and 2nd are fine.
I do think if you don't let off the throttle during shifts (especially into 3rd) that the shock load may wreck it, as it hits with a bang- something that doesn't happen pedaling.
I do love the gears and the relaxed engine speed they allow. With this set-up, I am able to putt-along at slow bicycle speeds (pedaling) on a sidewalk if necessary, with the ability to go 20 to 25 when I want.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I bought an X-RD3 a couple months ago after taking to Barely about them. They lace up real nice 4-cross in a Weinmann DH-39 with supplied 12ga spokes, I must add. So far I love mine.

I figured if his can live up to a tuned 2-stroke and a derailleur through jackshaft, mine should be okay with a HS142 and 4G through one!

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
I have an old 1950's Humber Sports with a Sturmey Archer AW hub and friction drive (BMP/Honda GX35). For me, the fact that you shift while "rolling-and-not-pedaling" works great with a motorized bike. I usually keep it in 1st for takeoff-pedaling, but if I see a big hill coming where I know I'll have to "help," I can click to 2nd in advance and be ready to pedal when I reach the hill. Then I pop it back into 1st and I'm ready for the next red light. Definitely keep the hub oiled.

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
(to anyone who built a 3 speed jackshaft out of this hub)

How did you attach the second sprocket to the 3-speed hub to make it into a jackshaft?