19mm Dellorto PHBG ride results

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
My green bike is 100% stock. Stock exhaust, stock manifold, stock jug, everything, straight out of the box aside from tweaking the stock NT carb.

I went around town and got some supplies:

Ackland Graingers 1" I.D. Hose & Matching clamps
Part Source 3/4" I.D. Hose & matching clamps
Aliexpress.com 19mm Dellorto PHBG Clone
Home Hardware 3/4" copper pipe 45 degree elbow (1 end wide)

1. Attached the 3/4" I.D. Hose to the small end of the copper pipe, and the stock intake manifold.

2. Attached the 1" I.D. Hose to the large end of the copper pipe, and the dellorto outlet.

3. Cut the throttle cable back a bit, added extra girth to the cable nipple to stop the strong spring from snapping it off. I didn't change anything inside the carb (jets, adjustments, etc.)

4. Test ride and bring new pants.

Results:
With the stock carb, my black bike with RSE Reeds, RT Carb, light weight piston, ported, shaved head and SBP Pipe, and 36T sprocket, the black bike could easily keep up with the green one and eventually outrun it with it's top speed.

Now my black bike can't keep up to the green one, the green one accelerates much harder, and it's top speed matches my black bike. It's 100% stock except the big carb.

If it's that much faster with just the carb adapted to the stock restrictive intake, I can't wait to see the beast when I get my 3/4" I.D. manifold when it can actually breathe properly. Oh, and the stock carb would four-stroke like crazy, no matter what adjustments I made. I needed a smaller jet. I was afraid the PHBG would do worse having a larger jet. Oh boy was I wrong.

Conclusion:
It appears my theory was correct, these bikes are severely limited by their intakes and carbs. Do yourselves a favor: get a proper sized carb. you can get up to a 21mm bare-bones PHBG on aliexpress.com for $35, or if you spend an extra $10, you get a sized throttle cable, mounting hardware (For reeded mopeds though, so useless to us unless you're using the large arrow reeds & jug), and an air filter.

Note: You will NOT need a different throttle handle. The one that comes with your kit has enough twist to open up the 19mm carb ALL the way. However you DO have to turn it a whole 1/4 turn to do so (a lot for a throttle I would imagine, stock carb is only about 1/6 turn), so getting a throttle with a larger pulley assembly would help get that under control, but if you're cheap, you can use the stock one.

Oh, and you will need a choke lever, these things are a huge pain to start without one (mine's coming in the mail from treatland.tv). It's just another throttle cable.

Last edited: