Honda GX35 clutch wear indications?

GoldenMotor.com

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
I am running a GX35 with a standard centrifugal clutch on my Bike E2 conversion. I go thru an 18.75/1 Staton gearbox, into a 13 tooth sprocket, chained to a 27 tooth wheel sprocket, with a 2 sprocket turn/1 wheel turn additional reduction, thanks to the starting ratio on my Nuvinci 171 gearbox. And my drive wheel is a 20 incher.
This is just a long winded way of saying that I have a deep, deep low. My clutch engages fully at about 2-1/2 mph. This has made me lazy and I seldom pedal to start - i.e. just about never, even with 2 aboard. I have well over 200 city hours doing this, and the only change I can see (and I might be imagining this) is an increase in my initial clutch engagement engine speed from ~4200 r/m to ~4600 r/m.

So, without the laborious removal of my engine from the gearbox for inspection, are there any reliable early indicators of clutch wear? And since I am certainly wearing my clutch SOME, if I ride to failure am I risking tearing up the clutch engagement ring (what is it's proper name?) on my gearbox?

Last edited: