Rear Sprocket Adaptor

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Hey everyone:
I was thinking about getting a rear sprocket adaptor for my 2 stroke, direct drive, china girl motorized bicycle and I would like advice. I saw 2 different types of adaptors, a 3 piece and a 2 piece. Sportsman Flyer sells a 3 piece called HEAVY DUTY SPROCKET ADAPTER view it about 2/3 of the way down the bike parts page. Also Manic Mechanic has a 2 piece one you can see here. With the sprocket the price is about the same for each. Has anyone had any experience with either of these or others that you can recommend? Is it better to have 3 pieces or 2? Which is best to reduce wobble and in terms of gripping the hub and less chance of failure. I'm using a Shimano, 7 speed, 26", mountain bike rear wheel.
All advice is very much appreciated!!

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've used both types... The 'MM' style adapters do the job, work well & cost much less, but the 'Sportsman' adapters have more clamping power because they have three main bolts to torque down harder on the hub (instead of two) & it's also much wider where the adapter clamps down on the hub to insure there's less slipping on the hub... & they look a little better, (IMHO). :)

I have a Sportsman adapter on my 99cc Felt racer with a large 56T sprocket & so far it hasn't slipped a bit! (^)

Here's a link to see some pix of the bike... http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=50513

Unfortunately I don't think Sportsman has them to fit the 7-speed hubs at this time. :(

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree with Venice...the sportsman looks nice and seems to clamp stronger.
One of my customers runs one and it is a nice part.
Nothing against MM, I just have no personal experience with their parts.

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
i have 5,ooo miles on a m.m adapter & after it was installed & aligned ....all i needed to do was wipe grime off it . still hasnt moved

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond!! It's assuring to know that both types have a good hub grip. It sounds like the sportsman one might be a little higher quality since it has 3 pieces however the M.M. 2 piece one seems perfectly fine for this application and it does cost about $10 less. Also, I saw this 2 piece one on ebay. It has the 9 hole mounting so that you can use 9 hole sprockets, it seems a bit over priced though, there is no sprocket included.

I think the M.M. one is a good deal, I wish they had a 44 tooth sprocket option though and drilling my stock one to fit might prove difficult. This isn't urgent or anything, I guess I will give it some more thought :)