97cc of Flathead Fury! I'm now riding a rolling space heater!

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I replaced the main jet and emulsion tube of the GX 160 carb with GX 120 jet and tube. Man what a difference. Amazing smoothness and throttle response........ all the way to WOT.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My word that's a beautiful bike.
My bike said thanks. It does take pictures that are easy on the eyes. I do agree. I just finished ironing the GX160 carb issue and, oh my, it worked very well. Now I need to go back up in sprocket size. It was a 50 tooth then dropped to a 48. Now I have to go back up to a 52 or 54 toother. I'm getting close to being done with this thing. I can feel it in my bones. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Flathead Fury has Fizzled. 18 hours on the engine and I heard the clackety clack of a thrown rod while going down a mild hill. The Huasheng has 150 hours on it and has gone down the same hill a 100 times or more. Doodlebug? More like Stinkbug. :-||

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Well, I'd be pulling it and tearing it apart to see what carnage there is.

Shame to hear about it, but at least it's just your engine. Those are replaceable. The time spent putting one of these together, isn't.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yep. I need to drain it and take a look. It was low speed carnage preceeded by the engine just slowing down and deciding to quit on me. Then I restarted it and took of then I heard a clackety clack clack and lost all power to the clutch. Compression is still good and nothing exited the engine case. LOL

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Sounds like your Doodlebug has the potential for being salvaged. Mine however is frozen tight. Close to the same scenerio of losing power and then crapping out only there is no getting the crank to turn. Good luck and please post your findings!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Sounds like your Doodlebug has the potential for being salvaged. Mine however is frozen tight. Close to the same scenerio of losing power and then crapping out only there is no getting the crank to turn. Good luck and please post your findings!
IT'S ALIVE! ALIVE! Everything is intact and in one piece. Crank case is missing at least half it's oil after changing it only 8 engine hours ago. One of the connecting rod bolts came unscrewed and the rod lost connection with the crankshaft. I'm just not sure why yet. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm missing most of my oil after 8 engine hours since the last change.That can't be a good thing.

I know to Loctite all bolts but this never even crossed my mind. 1 bolt was completely unscrewed and laying at the bottom of the case. The other was half way out. It would have been catastrophic at high speed but I just got lucky I guess that I caught it at slow speed and killed the motor.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
IT"S ALIVE! ALIVE! Everything is intact and in one piece. Crank case is missing at least half it's oil after changing it only 8 engine hours ago. One of the connecting rod bolts came unscrewed and the rod lost connection with the crankshaft. I'm just not sure why yet. LOL
I'm missing most of my oil after 8 engine hours since the last change.That can't be a good thing.

I know to Loctite all bolts but this never even crossed my mind. 1 bolt was completely unscrewed and laying at the bottom of the case. The other was half way out. It would have been catastrophic at high speed but I just got lucky I guess that I caught it at slow speed and killed the motor.
Awesome!

Red loctite that screw in there though. Drop oil in it and let 'er rip! :D

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it has an oil slinger, sometimes they have tabs you bend up to lock the bolts as well. Not sure on your engine, but lots of older four strokes had this feature.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If it has an oil slinger, sometimes they have tabs you bend up to lock the bolts as well. Not sure on your engine, but lots of older four strokes had this feature.
No oil slinger. I found 2 stripped thread shavings on 1 of the Con-Rod bolts and that bolt no longer tightens. I'm mixing up epoxy and I'm gonna cement that bolt in place......hopefully forever. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
FINAL REPORT:

Got scared and replaced the entire bolt with a slightly longer bolt that dug deeper into the threads that taper at the end but have a hole that goes clean through the other side.

Lesson Learned:

Connecting rod bolts should be replaced with slightly longer bolts and Loctite Red them both or Loctite Red the original bolts at a minimum. Check your oil level before riding as well cause I sure didn't.