Chain tensioner from H3LL.

GoldenMotor.com

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
I decided to go without a chain tensioner, but the stock chain was streching faster then i could adjust it. One day I was riding I heard this loud noise coming the motor, I stopped and inspected what was going on. It was the drive side chain, it had streched again and it must have skipped a sprocket tooth. Good thing the wheel didnt lock on me. When I got home try to adjust the chain I saw that it was kinked. So I decided to order a#41 chain and found a nice tensioner on ebay. I also got myself a 10t idler sprocket. I Installed everything on the bike and its running smooth. Chain seems stronger and the sprocket is so quiet that I forgot it was there. Heres my set up

added some tree spikes for decor.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Spanning the chain and seat stay is the best way to mount a tensioner bracket. Yours should give you miles of trouble free riding.
Can't say I'm impressed with the spikes. In a fall I wouldn't want those in my leg.

Tom

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Right on .. i love the spikes . The curve follows the wheel nicely .

I changed mine up to run without a tensioner also . So far its working pretty sweet , BUT , like you , i can see trouble happening with the chain too . My kit chain is junk .
Out of the box , it wasn,t strait . There is a section of about 15 - 20 links that are out of line with the rest of the chain about .020 ... gonna get a new chain as soon as i have some spare cash .

I was still thinking of adding a tensioner at some point , but right now its not needed .

Do you think that the idler sprocket is reducing the noise from the engine sprocket at all ?

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
@2door that's what I am aiming for trouble free riding:) but I really couldn't pass up on the spikes.

@diceman2004 Thanks I got the spikes to put on a chopped back fender,but I haven't found a cheap one to chop up
I don't know about reducing the noise from the engine sprocket. Ill keep an eye out on that next time I ride. I did notice one thing the #41 chain is way more quiet then the stock 415.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I think this looks great, but on a separate note, please tell me the bike is not a firm strong... I have built 3 of them and they all had frame failures. The spacing on the bikes are horrible, the chain shreds the tire, there is no room for anything. I just wanted to give u a heads up...

EDIT: I now have a Felt Slant which u can pick up new for 275 and they are great. I now have a canvas that i can paint many different pictures on!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think this looks great, but on a separate note, please tell me the bike is not a firm strong... I have built 3 of them and they all had frame failures. The spacing on the bikes are horrible, the chain shreds the tire, there is no room for anything. I just wanted to give u a heads up...

EDIT: I now have a Felt Slant which u can pick up new for 275 and they are great. I now have a canvas that i can paint many different pictures on!
If the chain is rubbing the tire, switch to a smaller width of tire. My Cranbrook came with 26 x 2.125 tires, the chain rubbed, and I went down to 26 x 1.95 tires, no more chain rubbing.

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
Its a scwhinn made in China. I picked it up brand new at a bike shop back in 2008. I've compared it to theones in department stores and it seems like its of better quality. Also when I took it apart to strip the paint it was very well greased, and the bike itself never gave me problems.

@ bigbutter bean that's a good idea I'll keep it in mind

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looks awesome Stanley.

Way back, Tom welded one in like that and really wanna do one some day like yours.

Looks sharp and really is trouble free.

I lost my very first build's rear wheel to the tensioner going in to the spokes and hated em ever since. My fault.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
snork, licence me to make em. We sell em for 13 bucks just 'cause I think the number is funny and you get half the gross. (OK, well net)

We, like all the MB entrepreneurs will get filthy rich and retire in the condo next to Paul's! an' later annoy the sheet out of him with loud music and hot and cold running hot chicks after our crazy MB cash.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hmmmmm, I have to say that it looks suspiciously familiar. Mine cost less than a buck to make.

Tom
Oh yeah, mine was less than 50 cents.

Actually though, I like the tensioner from H3LL. The extra holes in the bracket gives you a place to mount stuff like killa spikes, some skulls, or maybe a tail light.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Actually though, I like the tensioner from H3LL. The extra holes in the bracket gives you a place to mount stuff like killa spikes, some skulls, or maybe a tail light.
Ahhhh, Biknut, your chain fell off :)

Tom

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well I think it's fun to look at the punked-out gothic stuff but spikes got no place on a bike.
You ARE gonna go down.
Period.

Best to design them without built in problematic stuff.

Best
rc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Ahhhh, Biknut, your chain fell off :)

Tom
I sell the instructions on how to keep the chain on for an additional 25 cents.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well I think it's fun to look at the punked-out gothic stuff but spikes got no place on a bike.
You ARE gonna go down.
Period.

Best to design them without built in problematic stuff.

Best
rc
You're totally wrong rustycase. A little history lesson is in order.

In the beginning all of our caveman ancestors walked to get anywhere. Then a genius caveman, Albert Einsteinerock, invented the stone wheel. His wheels were an instant sensation. Every caveman had to have one. The first generation wheels were quickly followed by a new innovation, the motor wheel, invented by Harley Davidrock. Every Tom, Dick, and Flintstone worth his grog had one. As they became more and more common though, it got increasingly difficult to stand out in a crowd at the neighborhood Dinosaurus Burger on Friday nights. If you don't stand out, you can't attract the hottest cave babes, so you end up with the leftovers.

This lead to the creation of the accessory industry, which was a big help to less naturally endowed motor wheelers. You can't expect to get a hot cave babe, looking like a wimp. That's why the first, and most popular motor wheel accessory was spikes, followed closely by Skulls. And it's been that way ever since.