HF predator questions

GoldenMotor.com

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
After reading all the posts I have decided to buy the 99cc HF predator. Who makes a good mounting plate? I was thinking of making one myself, but I'm not sure on side to side position. Do you just center the engine in the frame? Does anyone have a link on this?
What transmissions work with th HF? I'm thinking of going with the one from AFG. What does everyone think of the high stall converter from AFG? Anyone have a link of throttle cable hookup?

Last edited:

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
After reading all the posts I have decided to buy the 99cc HF predator. Who makes a good mounting plate? I was thinking of making one myself, but I'm not sure on side to side position. Do you just center the engine in the frame? Does anyone have a link on this?
What transmissions work with th HF? I'm thinking of going with the one from AFG. What does everyone think of the high stall converter from AFG? Anyone have a link of throttle cable hookup?
AGK not AFG sorry

Last edited:

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Yes, I know that agk has them. What I'm wanting to know is what other ones fit, and what people think of eack one of them. People who own them not just know of them. Any input would be great thats what this place is for right?

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
The main reason I want to fab my own mounting plate is so it will be strong and I also want to weld it to the frame. The only thing I'm not sure about is the mounting holes. I guess I'll get it figured out once I get everything and bolt it together. I would love to hear input on transmissions also!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
check out my Panther build, i had someone weld an angle iron on each side of the down tube and seat post for a HF 79, it doesnt get any more solid and no plate just 10 bucks of steel and someone who can weld

No Pedaling

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego
I'm new to this, and I just checked out the AGK site, wow, a lot of useful information there. The Predator looks like an affordable way to get into this bike thing.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Chromoly steel, which is what bikes are usually made of, doesn't weld very well to normal steel. It needs to be tig welded so that it doesn't get too hot and become brittle. People have done it with mig welding, but I suggest you find a different way. I am currently designing an aluminum mount for my bike, and casting it in my backyard foundry. If you can wait about a week, I will be done by then. Look at my thread "custom ht parts and 4 stroke mount". I also don't like agk's mount very much. Only 2 clamp points, and they're pretty small. Seems the best way is to custom make one. Ago makes great stuff otherwise.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Chromoly steel, which is what bikes are usually made of, doesn't weld very well to normal steel. It needs to be tig welded so that it doesn't get too hot and become brittle. People have done it with mig welding, but I suggest you find a different way. I am currently designing an aluminum mount for my bike, and casting it in my backyard foundry. If you can wait about a week, I will be done by then. Look at my thread "custom ht parts and 4 stroke mount". I also don't like agk's mount very much. Only 2 clamp points, and they're pretty small. Seems the best way is to custom make one. Ago makes great stuff otherwise.
nope... chromoly does not become brittle from to much heat it becomes brittle from the welds cooling to fast. be it gas welded arc mig or TIG

http://www.aws.org/wj/apr03/AWfeature.html

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
The mount tha AGK sells does not come with anything to mount it with just the plate. http://www.zone8cycling.com/4-Stroke-Parts/4-stroke-mount-plate-p332.html these guys have one with a the parts needed and it about the same price.
that mount is for the 142HS motor NOT the 99cc predator as the mounting bolt pattern is not the same

how wonderful its another GASBIKE owned website
compare phone numbers at the top of the page...

http://www.gasbike.net/contact-us.html
http://www.zone8cycling.com/Contact-Us-5.html

what ya know they match!!!

Mightyboosh

Apr 28, 2012
College Station, TX
So I guess that's what AGK means when they say frame mounts are in the 4-stroke mount kit. Do you have a solid way to mount the agk engine mount without the the frame mount pieces that come in previously mentioned kit. I'd rather drill my own hole then buy both kits. Do you know anyone that sells the frame mounts alone.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
So I guess that's what AGK means when they say frame mounts are in the 4-stroke mount kit. Do you have a solid way to mount the agk engine mount without the the frame mount pieces that come in previously mentioned kit. I'd rather drill my own hole then buy both kits. Do you know anyone that sells the frame mounts alone.
With our 99cc motor plate we like to weld two parallel pieces of flat stock to the frame for the motor plate to slide on. We put slotted holes in the flat stock so we can secure the motor plate to the flat stock rails. We like this setup because it's solid and you don't have to worry about it going anywhere.

Some people do not have access to a welder so you have the option of using the 49cc frame mounts. This way it's all bolt in.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
It would be much better with welded on flat stock. I just had bad experience with the HT 2-point mounts. They allow flexing and frame cracking. That's why I'm making an extra mount to hold the head steady. Maybe I'm just paranoid....

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
This isnt my bike, but FlybyTaco ( where is he these days?) welded mine and this one, with just some angle iron and it was super solid. Just measured for holes/slots, and drilled.

Last edited: