Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
the clutch was the problem!

it started
Great!!

I just came to post that I'm not sure I want a confrontation with the police, pay $80, and have my bike towed away.

I did my research but nothing makes the law as simple as this Moped Laws by state

I'm running an 70cc, I can lie... but that'll just make things worse. I figure there is a good reason no one else in Little Rock has these.

So I might just sell this after all.

or not... I'm not sure what I'll do. Part of me wants to have 80 saved just in case, the other part of me wants to avoid the trouble all together. I can't ride this thing on these streets. The farthest I could go before the traffic becomes too much is a grocery store and a couple restaurants I could walk to.

But it's good you got yours working. No more looking at the engine and wondering what could have been.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hauzer-

What you are saying is that you live in a populated area and there are lots of cops and traffic?

Sometimes you can't win.

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
That's exactly what I'm saying Bikeguy Joe.

I already took it apart too. Back to just using my legal bike. :bike2:
The bike was kinda crappy anyway... not suited for this- it even has a little dent where the motor was.

This kinda sucks though. These politicians and police have better things to do, yet they consistently do what is easiest - regulate regulate regulate.

I did a google search, in Cuba they have something called Riquimbilis ("rickandbillies") because the cars are so hard to come by. They take motors from anything - weed eaters, water pumps, auxiliary army tank power generators - and they stick it on a bike the best way they can. It's illegal there too, but the police look the other way because it seems to be helping.

Maybe I should move out to the country or something. Then I could build all the dangerous contraptions I want. I don't know why the government(s) of the world are always trying to protect people from themselves.

Last edited:

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
come to cali, the cops cant tell the difference between a 50cc or a 80cc. its not that there not smart, its because they rather not have to prove it.

and all the ones i have talket to loved the thing... they just want poeple to be safe. and thats it.

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Yeah, I want to be in California. Your state has all the jobs I want (I'm a Media Production major).

I could very well end up there soon. However, I couldn't say I have it much different. Let me tell you why I'm split on this engine thing.

I kinda rushed it. The bike... was too gimpy (China makes fine motors... but bikes? Not for $60 they don't) I need a big old sturdy A frame road bike with no gears and two very good brakes (AND NO STICKERS!). A bike like that would be much safer to ride, plus, I'd probably have an easier time on the road if it looks safe (and has blinkers and lights and a bell and registration etc etc)

So, I'm getting another bike to put this on... YES. Something used but in good condition preferably. My grandpa once gave me this bike that would have been perfect for this but my folks thought it was raggity and threw it away after I moved out (it was old and brown, but perfect).

I'm going to want to wait though. I prefer to do it after I manage to rent my first house, which may be relatively soon if I work hard at it. If the house has a backyard or a driveway I'd have somewhere to put the two bikes. That and the house would be in a more residential area with safer traffic.

I mean I really enjoyed doing putting this together. It was the best experience of my life. It's amazing to actually use my hands and build something that works and is useful! I can make all the 3d models and drawings I want, but that could never eclipse this.

Anyway, the motor now sits in a box not stinking up my tiny apartment. I won't sell it unless I have to for some financial reason. It's a good investment, and if I take care of it it can last entire my life time.

But enough about me. This thread has gone hopelessly offtopic. I'll create a new one if I want to say more.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hauzer-
Sounds like you have your head screwed on pretty straight.

Good luck with the future. Don't sell it, it's not worth that much- only to you once it's back on another bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.