Which low cost STEEL cruiser frame is best?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I personally like classic American bikes, when bikes were 100% built by American's. I ride a 1978 Schwinn Corvette 4 stroke. I've been looking for a 50's era Schwinn straightbar frame, but they are a rare item and are pricey this time of the year. Felt bikes are very nice, but not for me... I'd rather built a bike from the ground up and watch it turn into what was envisioned at the start. :)
Im with you on the building from the ground up part. I realize my bike is "cheap chinese walmart crap" according to some people, but I am rebuilding the entire bike once I get enough money. when I am done, the only original part will be the frame itself. new forks, new wheels, new bottom bracket, new paint job, different handlebars, every single component of this bike will be installed by me when this bike is done. i just cant justify spending money on a new frame when the wheels are already going to cost me more than double what the bike itself cost to begin with. plus, the more items I add to the list, the bigger the price tag gets, and the longer its going to take.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Im with you on the building from the ground up part. I realize my bike is "cheap chinese walmart crap" according to some people, but I am rebuilding the entire bike once I get enough money. when I am done, the only original part will be the frame itself. new forks, new wheels, new bottom bracket, new paint job, different handlebars, every single component of this bike will be installed by me when this bike is done. i just cant justify spending money on a new frame when the wheels are already going to cost me more than double what the bike itself cost to begin with. plus, the more items I add to the list, the bigger the price tag gets, and the longer its going to take.
By the time you replace all of what you mentioned you could have purchased a quality bike with quality parts....laff...you will never see me with a walmart bike let alone in a walmart...do what ya gota do BBB

Check out some of my past bike builds, CL Dyno bike with all the parts used that it came with and the bike cost 125.00

Chit...if I have to I will locate one for the poster and send it to em...with no mark-up...

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I have a wally world schwinn that I personally changed everything out on except the seat and post and I know what you mean. And since I'm short,I put 24" wheels with disc brake hubs front and back.
Can anyone tell me where in America to get these wheels? I ordered mine from Canada(chainganglowrider.com) and would like to try closer to home.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Or a beach cruiser with front AND rear disc brakes and 24" wheels? I've looked at the Nirve Street King and the Nirve Skulls but they only have a front disc brake.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Or a beach cruiser with front AND rear disc brakes and 24" wheels? I've looked at the Nirve Street King and the Nirve Skulls but they only have a front disc brake.
I've got front and rear disc brakes and 24" wheels on my Felt beach cruiser now (jackshaft mounted rear disc actually). What wheels we're you looking for?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Scotto I'm looking for a matching set of 24" wheels with disc hubs. They need to be single speed freewheel in the rear and 110mm in the front. I found some in Canada(front wheel out of stock) and the U.K. I'd prefer red rim/black hub but whatever I can get in America without having to buy the whole bike would be GRRR-REAT!

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Oh,and I have the Top Hat adaptor for the rear disc brake and drive sprocket. Also have the U.S.Choppers rear disc brake adaptor as well. I'm having problems posting pics but I will a.s.a.p.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto I'm looking for a matching set of 24" wheels with disc hubs. They need to be single speed freewheel in the rear and 110mm in the front. I found some in Canada(front wheel out of stock) and the U.K. I'd prefer red rim/black hub but whatever I can get in America without having to buy the whole bike would be GRRR-REAT!
You can see my matching 24" wheelset (Halo hubs and rims) on post #183 in my build thread :http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32789&page=19

Bomb-proof w/48 spokes on the rear. And really expensive too.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That looks awesome! If I ever start racing these things I'm going to have to pick your brain sir.

That's too wide for the rear of my bike! I have to have a bmx freewheel for the rear,sorry about that.

And I've spent about 1,500 already,a few more hundred cant be any worse.

I have a Halo Combat on the front and yeah,worth it all the way.

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
Since most of the good steel frames that are cheap that you guys are suggesting do not have mounts on the rear frame triangle for V-brakes (which I need). Does anyone out there make a horse-shoe shaped plate with the V-brake mounts that as a single piece can be clamped and then welded to the frame?

I can weld steel and so long as stuff doesn't have to be absolutely perfectly aligned I do just fine so building a rack and such onto the tail of a bike is fine but trying to precisely weld on each side of the V-brake mounts and get them perfectly aligned so the brakes work smoothly doesn't have very good odds of turning out right. However a solid horse-shoe shaped plate that had the mounts on it that I just welded the whole plate to top of the rear frame triangle would be completely do-able with my skill level with a torch (I learned on a torch because that is what my dad had in his shop and used it for many years while I was in high-school because it was what was available so that is what I am best at although I can also wire-feed, spot weld, and sandwich weld which are all electrical process but I'm not near as good with them although spot and sandwich welding is pretty darn easy but has limited application scope).

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Since most of the good steel frames that are cheap that you guys are suggesting do not have mounts on the rear frame triangle for V-brakes (which I need). Does anyone out there make a horse-shoe shaped plate with the V-brake mounts that as a single piece can be clamped and then welded to the frame?

I can weld steel and so long as stuff doesn't have to be absolutely perfectly aligned I do just fine so building a rack and such onto the tail of a bike is fine but trying to precisely weld on each side of the V-brake mounts and get them perfectly aligned so the brakes work smoothly doesn't have very good odds of turning out right. However a solid horse-shoe shaped plate that had the mounts on it that I just welded the whole plate to top of the rear frame triangle would be completely do-able with my skill level with a torch (I learned on a torch because that is what my dad had in his shop and used it for many years while I was in high-school because it was what was available so that is what I am best at although I can also wire-feed, spot weld, and sandwich weld which are all electrical process but I'm not near as good with them although spot and sandwich welding is pretty darn easy but has limited application scope).
Hey turbo, Dan's Comp used to sell those v-brake adapters, it seems they don't anymore. You can make your own with steel plate and threaded brake bosses......pretty easy to do.

Most brake bosses are brazed on, except on aluminum frames which are normally welded. I've even seen people clamp the front fork brace with bosses for v's to their bikes on the seat or chainstay. You could also do as I did with the tandem and cut your own steel mounting bracket for a disc brake and weld it on the seat stay if you have a disc brake hub in the rear.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
By the time you replace all of what you mentioned you could have purchased a quality bike with quality parts....laff...you will never see me with a walmart bike let alone in a walmart...do what ya gota do BBB

Check out some of my past bike builds, CL Dyno bike with all the parts used that it came with and the bike cost 125.00

Chit...if I have to I will locate one for the poster and send it to em...with no mark-up...
Tell me where to find a bike with a front wheel with drum brake and 11g spokes and a rear wheel with a multi-speed freewheel with 12g spokes, and a springer fork all as original equipment for $125, and I will buy it. Wont find a bike with any of those things as original equipment anywhere unless you order it custome built, and I bet that will cost a lot more than what I am putting into my bike. Thats why Im keeping the frame, because I am still going to get the aftermarket parts. I have a vision in my mind of what I want this bike to turn out as, and for me, it just has to be the way I want it. its just as much about the looks as it is about having quality parts. My frame has been fine so far, and if it ever does crack, I will just have it welded back together. cheaper than buying another brand new bike just to replace all the parts.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can spend thousands of dollars putting nice wheels & fancy parts on a Yugo... Instead, you could've spent that same money (& a lot less effort) on a quality vehicle; but in the end you're still only driving a POS Yugo. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Just because you charge someone thousands of dollars doesn't mean that's all there is either.

I can't wait to post pics.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I could spend thousands with a company but since it would be shipped to me I could still get a lemon.

Nothing in life is truly guaranteed.

Except Craftsman tools.