Which low cost STEEL cruiser frame is best?

GoldenMotor.com

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
Okay, new guy here asking for the input of some experienced builders.

I am a commuter and a few months ago I purchased a Staton-Inc(.com) axle mount kit with a 4-cycle 35cc Subaru motor. I did a lot of research online to figure out what was the most reliable motor kit built with the best quality components that would be the most dependable within a reasonable price range and that was what I decided on.

For me a motorized bicycle is not a toy, it is transportation and it needs to be reliable. I was previously a human power only pedal commuter but an over ten mile ride home over hill and dale much of it uphill after a long work shift was getting to be really, really annoying so I decided to get a motor for my bike. It needed to be dependable and it needed to be legal by the Montana law code which does explicitly discuss how big of a motor and such that you can put on your bike and it is still legally a bike and is fully legal as such. The Staton-Inc axle mount kit in question filled that bill although it did end up costing more then a lot of cheaper kits out there but as I said this is transportation for me at least during the non-Winter months not so much for the cold and the snow (studded snow tires for bikes rock !!!) as for the snow plows which in the middle of a blizzard won’t see or for that matter expect or be looking for a bicyclist on the road and will come up right behind you and scoop you up and blow you out the side of their big plows right along with the snow (not fun and a long story).

So it is doing me just fine except for the fact that I currently have it mounted on my decent quality (about a $1,000 new and still probably worth $500+ now) full suspension quality components and disk brake equipped mountain bike that has been “computerized” with a rear rack and panniers and good lights front and rear and tires that aren’t as knobby but still give good traction and give less roll resistance on-road along etc. . . .

That isn’t really the best frame to mount it too especially considering it is a full suspension rig and I can feel the “tail wiggle” under full load at full speed that over time could wear out the bearing points on the rear 4-bar link points so I need to get a hard-tail frame to mount this motor system too and build up that bike specifically as a motorized commuter bike. I was thinking of buying a cheap 7-speed Steel cruiser bike (the kind with a rear 7 gear spool and V-brakes) and then build it up replacing the components over time with higher quality and customizing it to suit my needs and style:

----- The Staton-Inc. kit comes with its own high quality rear wheel and hub system so that would happen right away.
----- Throw some heavier duty pedals on if the originals aren’t up to par.
----- Change out the front wheel tube for a tough puncture resistant self sealing tube.

----- Change out the seat stem, seat mount system, and seat to one that allows better adjustment to fit my body and riding style.
----- Swap out the front handle bars for urban hybrid bike type bars that are closer to mountain bike straight bars without being true straight bars and maintaining a comfortable riding position.
----- Weld a rear cage/rack onto the rear triangle to surround and protect the motor on the left side and provide a cargo rack on the right side directly opposite the motor so that the cargo balances out the weight of the motor. Basically a hard body large pannier on the right side connected to the cage around the motor by a bar across the back behind the rear wheel with a simple “vertical hole in a horizontal steel flange” hitch point like found on the back of riding lawn mowers that a whole bunch of different types of trailers are built for and are readily available at very reasonable prices compared to trailers made for bikes and usually have stronger axles and wheels and greater hauling capacity.
----- Cut a proper drop out plate out of steel plate and then sandwich weld it on over the outside of the el-cheapo department store type rear right drop out to accept a quality rear derailer with a quality punch button shifter probably with an 8 speed spool instead of just seven.
----- Change out the front fork to one that will accept a front disk brake instead of the V type rim brakes and put in a quality front hub and wheel assembly (I like Rino-Light 48 spoke wheels so that is probably what it would be). Unfortunately, with the Staton-Inc. axle mount kit I have to keep the V rim brakes on the rear since disk brake mounting is impossible on the rear since both sides of the wheel have drove sprockets on freewheel assemblies.
----- Swap out the fenders for higher quality ones.
----- And last of all when the bearings on the bottom bracket and/or front chain ring start to get worn out put in a cartridge conversion kit with a quality 3-piece cartridge crank assembly and chain ring to completely replace the one piece crank.

Those modifications and improvements beyond the first three listed to be done as time allows and maintenance requires such that by the end basically the frame is the only major original component left.

So, the primary goal is to figure out which of the available cheaper STEEL cruiser frames is going to be the best in the long run considering over time I’m going to change out most of the other components. An aluminum alloy frame would be fine except for the fact that for a cheap frame I trust a steel frame more then an aluminum alloy frame and I want to do some welding to the rear of the frame both to modify the drop out for a quality derailer and to build a cage around the motor, cargo rack, rear trailer hitch combination out of small size lighter weight steel tubing welded onto the rear triangle and top of the seat post. Steel is a lot easier to do it yourself weld then aluminum alloy.

Most (although I admit not all) of the higher priced and higher quality cruiser frames are aluminum alloy not steel so to get a steel frame that I can weld to it is going to be one of the cheaper department store type bike brands.

Any suggestions? I’ve looked at Huffy, Pacific, Schwinn, Micargi, Fito, and Greenline offerings. All offering Men’s 26” wheel size steel frames with V-brakes and 7-speed rear gear spools.

I have been told that the present production Schwinn frames are tight for a large tall individual such as myself and are smaller then a size-19 men’s mountain bike frame which would not be ideal for me although some of that can be mitigated with a seat post and seat change. I do not know if that applies to the others as well.

Also, anyone here done any business with bikebuyers.com and have anything to say about them one way or another? I like the looks of their Fito “Red Devil” and they have what looks to be a good fork assembly for converting to disk brakes on the front in their parts section for a very reasonable price.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
good start power wise. dont buy a new bike. unless its a steel felt. look at scotto's. or look at dyno beach cruzzer's. culvercityclassics. venice motor bikes[shop]. bairdco. nashmoto. these guy's will set you right on what to use and more important what not to use. look around here before you leap. all will help just ask. dennis

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
For a good inexpensive steel frame bicycle, I really like 3G bicycles.
For a good expensive steel (or aluminum) bicycle, I really like Felts!

If you're a real 'do it yourselfer'... get a pre 1982 Schwinn! ;)

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Hey there turbo,are you serious about steel? You could go to Walmart.com and look at the Schwinn Delmar(black-$124) or the Schwinn Clairmont(gloss black-$165). The delmar is a single speed and the clairmont is a 21 speed I believe. I have a 4 stroke huasheng in a delmar and it is great. The delmar is a new bike for 2012 and it does not have the two small bars underneath the top bar and the top tube is NOT two tubes welded to the seat tube. I am short (5'4") so I have replaced everything except the seat and seat post.
eventually I will post pics of the "Schwinn Stunna". Oh,almost forgot turbo. The delmar is only in Walmart stores according to the website.

And quit following me. You know who you are.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is a reasonably cheap Felt steel beach cruiser that I paid $300 for out the door that dmb mentioned in his post above.

This frame is quite strong and is holding up well to the 212cc engine I put in it for racing with absolutely no modifications to the frame whatsoever.

Build on it however you like......here's what I did.

If you have any questions, as Dennis said......."just ask".

.wee.

EDIT: I forgot too mention, the only parts in my build of this original Felt steel framed beach cruiser are the frame, the seat and the pedals and that is it. No joke. Everything else on this bike is aftermarket and decent quality at the least.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
this is not a recommendation per se, but here are my future plans. My bike is a huffy cranbrook. my plan is to convert it to a 6 speed and install a shift kit on it. first, let me say i have had the bike for two years and rode it pretty hard. it holds up well for the $75 i paid for it new. now i will list the changes i am going to make.

springer fork
24" front wheel with 11g spokes and sturmey archer xfd drum brake hub from husky bicycles
26" sta-tru rear wheel with 12g spokes and 6 speed cassette, available from www.custommotoredbicycles.com
shimano tourney derailleur
shift kit
bottom bracket adapters to convert from one piece crank to three piece crank (necessary for shift kit installation)
extended muffler also available from custommotoredbicycles

of course, i have a 2 cycle in frame engine, but they also make 4 stroke shift kits. personally, i would not go from soft tail to hard tail. at the very least i would install a springer fork. i cant tell you how many times a half hour of hard riding has made me wish i had a soft tail.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
For the motor you have a schwinn should be fine especially if you can weld. Everyone needs to read what turbo wrote. He's not racing AND the motor is NOT in-frame but on the axle! Does anyone care about the fact that this is his transpo?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
as I said, it wasnt a recommendation. just some ideas if he did decide to go with a cruiser. i actually recommended he stick with the soft tail. but it doesnt hurt to offer someone different ideas. as far as a bike cracking, any bike can crack if it wasnt welded properly or is not ridden properly. even the strongest bikes have a limit. had my bike for over two years, no problems. another guy on this forum put a predator in a cranny, so obviously he trusts his frame. all the guys who build on more expensive frames tend to put down the walmart bikes. i have ridden my bike pretty hard. wot over bumps, speed bumps, potholes, manhole covers, gravel, just about any kind of rough riding conditions you can imagine except for off-road. since i dont plan to ever take my bike off road, its not a concern of wether or not my bike could handle it. if my frame was going to crack, i think it would have by now.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That was not aimed at you BBB. It was those who aren't paying attention. And you are right. ALL bikes can crack without proper care.

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
Some of the frames people are suggesting (such as the G3) and many of the other frames I have looked up on my own are built for coaster brake type rear hubs. They have narrower rear drop outs that can't accept a full width rear axle and either do not have a mounting point at all for rim-brakes or would only accept the old short pull BMX type rim brakes not modern long pull, linear pull V-brakes.

This is an issue for my needs since the Staton-Inc. drive system I am using is only compatible with rim brakes for the rear wheel. Coaster brake will not work, disk brake will not work, and drum brake will not work.

For purely background information the bike I currently have it mounted on is commuterized KHS-2008-XC104-XL I just removed the rear disk brake and installed the pegs in the empty mounts for rim-brakes and slapped on a set of Shimano V-brakes out of the spare parts bin and that is working fine except for that bike is both rear suspension and an alloy frame so firing up the torch and building onto the back of the bike to put a protective cage around the motor and pannier rack opposite is out of the question. Plus as I mentioned in my previous post under full throttle I can feel some "tail wiggle" from side to side in the rear suspension system that can't be good in the long run.

That is why I was thinking "Steel Frame Hard-Tail" and I was thinking cruiser but maybe a MTB frame would be better even though the cruiser frame would probably be more comfortable and look better as a motor build.

Here are a couple pictures of other peoples motorized cruiser type bikes using the same kind of Staton-Inc. axle mount kit I am using:

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/images/products/secondary/1522.jpg
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/images/products/secondary/182.jpg

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
this is not a recommendation per se, but here are my future plans. My bike is a huffy cranbrook....
springer fork
24" front wheel with 11g spokes and sturmey archer xfd drum brake hub from husky bicycles
26" sta-tru rear wheel with 12g spokes and 6 speed cassette, available from www.custommotoredbicycles.com
I would be hesitant to swap to a smaller front wheel on a motorized bicycle. This would change rake and trail and most likely cause the bike to feel twitchy and reduce stability at speed.

I was actually thinking about going the other direction with a 29er and using a 26" rear to relax the Head Tube Angle further and make it more stable and relaxed feeling at speed.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
as I said, it wasnt a recommendation. just some ideas if he did decide to go with a cruiser. i actually recommended he stick with the soft tail. but it doesnt hurt to offer someone different ideas. as far as a bike cracking, any bike can crack if it wasnt welded properly or is not ridden properly. even the strongest bikes have a limit. had my bike for over two years, no problems. another guy on this forum put a predator in a cranny, so obviously he trusts his frame. all the guys who build on more expensive frames tend to put down the walmart bikes. i have ridden my bike pretty hard. wot over bumps, speed bumps, potholes, manhole covers, gravel, just about any kind of rough riding conditions you can imagine except for off-road. since i dont plan to ever take my bike off road, its not a concern of wether or not my bike could handle it. if my frame was going to crack, i think it would have by now.
I can certainly understand a a short light guy mebbe all of a 130 pounds or so. I could not even dream of peddling a Cranny as that frame would be too small for me. I would never get to stretch out on it as a peddler and likely be crackable under the force of my legs alone. This is from from Personal Peddling Experience..I have done this sorta thing..Many of these bikes don't even get peddled more than 50 miles in their life times with the motor out of the equation.

Now knowing darn well what a Cranbrook is about.. I got four or five old school steel frames and specialty aluminum commercial grade down hill frames here that I would put up against that Walmart Special Huffy in a heart beat..as these frames will not crack on me or leave me worrying. Have not even got to the motor part yet, this is what I would be caught peddling..lol

What do you think the differences are in a Huffy from Wallys today and a said good steel frame?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I would be hesitant to swap to a smaller front wheel on a motorized bicycle. This would change rake and trail and most likely cause the bike to feel twitchy and reduce stability at speed.

I was actually thinking about going the other direction with a 29er and using a 26" rear to relax the Head Tube Angle further and make it more stable and relaxed feeling at speed.
When considering the ground clearance of a wheel, you only need to consider the radius, which for a 24" wheel would be 12", and for a 26" wheel would be 13". So the difference between the two is only an inch. I cant see there being that much of a difference. While I appreciate the fact that you are trying to offer helpful advice, I am going ahead with my plans. I have seen plenty of cruiser style motorcycles with a slightly larger rear wheel than front, and even with the same size wheels, cruiser motorcycles always have a bigger rear tire, which I am sure changes the angle of the bike slightly. If I have to tighten the spring to compensate for rake, I will do that. And besides that, muscle bikes always had a bigger rear wheel. You cant tell me that one inch less is going to make tha much of a difference.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I can certainly understand a a short light guy mebbe all of a 130 pounds or so. I could not even dream of peddling a Cranny as that frame would be too small for me. I would never get to stretch out on it as a peddler and likely be crackable under the force of my legs alone. This is from from Personal Peddling Experience..I have done this sorta thing..Many of these bikes don't even get peddled more than 50 miles in their life times with the motor out of the equation.

Now knowing darn well what a Cranbrook is about.. I got four or five old school steel frames and specialty aluminum commercial grade down hill frames here that I would put up against that Walmart Special Huffy in a heart beat..as these frames will not crack on me or leave me worrying. Have not even got to the motor part yet, this is what I would be caught peddling..lol

What do you think the differences are in a Huffy from Wallys today and a said good steel frame?
I am 6 ft 2, weigh almost 300, have a 68.5cc high compression engine. This engine has such high compression, a lot of times it takes more than one bump to get it started. I have had my bike for 2 years, and it is steel. aluminum aint magnetic. my bike is. you dont know what a bike can take until you ride it. just cause a bike comes from walmart dont mean its junk. plenty of people go around this forum knocking walmart bikes. how many of you have ever built one? im not saying every bike that comes from walmart is great either, but not every one is junk either. maybe i got lucky and got a good one. but i paid $75 for it, and I will ride it till the wheels fall off, and i dont care what anyone thinks about that. and after two years of lugging my 300lb a$$ around, it aint fell apart on me yet. if these bikes are so prone to cracking, how come mine aint cracked yet?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Hey GOAT, what do you leg press? And do you have any top speeds on pedal power? Something like : 52 tooth front chainring -16 tooth rear sprocket = 37 mph TOP SPEED. That's actually one of my runs and on 20" 5-star alloy mags.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am 6 ft 2, weigh almost 300, have a 68.5cc high compression engine. This engine has such high compression, a lot of times it takes more than one bump to get it started. I have had my bike for 2 years, and it is steel. aluminum aint magnetic. my bike is. you dont know what a bike can take until you ride it. just cause a bike comes from walmart dont mean its junk. plenty of people go around this forum knocking walmart bikes. how many of you have ever built one? im not saying every bike that comes from walmart is great either, but not every one is junk either. maybe i got lucky and got a good one. but i paid $75 for it, and I will ride it till the wheels fall off, and i dont care what anyone thinks about that. and after two years of lugging my 300lb a$$ around, it aint fell apart on me yet. if these bikes are so prone to cracking, how come mine aint cracked yet?
One day it just might? A bike to me should be very trust worthy to the tune of about 20 thousand miles in the least, of my expectations for frame integrity..but that is just me.. As for ''thin walled tubing''' and inferior alloys I've totally had first hand experience. I have cracked the head/fork tubes on Huffies twice ''Scary''. Have Cracked the trailing arms in the rear on three occasions no motor was involved, no stunts just plain peddling. This was my younger days when I was lighter in weight too.

Your at 6 ft 2, weigh almost 300 pounds! That must be one cramped up rough ride! Like sitting in a tiny car with the steering wheel pined to your chest and no prayer of getting the seat to slide back.. lol Ask me how I know!? I be 6 foot tall 260 pounds and would flee for my life from the likes of that.:D

Oh yeah with daily cargo I can far exceed 300 pounds on occasion.

Last here is the funny part it's all made in china now so ....Choose carefully. Cranny I say no. IMHO.

Life has got better over here over the years and reading on this subject over many forums. I can simply buy decent grade steel that the walls of the tubing are not too thin and of course be a good grade alloy. Make my own! No more cramped up Clown circus Bear acts here :)

I did make to 6000 miles on this Pyle ..Never ever againlaff