New to this site, looking to motorize an old bmx

GoldenMotor.com

newfiebike

Jun 9, 2012
Appleton, NL, Canada
Hi, I'm new to this site and I figured I should post what I have so far. This is a bike I found in a ditch about 10 years ago and restored. I was helping my father clean out his shed and I came across it again..
I found a weed eater motor, placed it on the bike and it looked like it belonged there! I've since been given a 49cc pocket bike engine, and that seems like a better choice.
What I plan on doing is removing the pedals and installing a jackshaft. I've already started fabbing up a engine mount plate for it.
Is anyone on here from Canada, and could they point me to the best place to get sprocket adapters, etc?

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Looks like a good start, but have you did any research on the bike your starting with? Some of the 70' s full suspension BMX bikes can be worth a fair bit of $$$

newfiebike

Jun 9, 2012
Appleton, NL, Canada
I did do a little research.. Someone I talked to thought it might of been a yamaha Motobike, which is worth quite a bit. I looked on bmxmuseum.com to see if I could match it up with something, and the closest match was a Norco Dirtmaster. Not sure what they're worth, especially since I'm missing the original plastics and fake fuel tank, and I repainted it..

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
very cool bike!!

please keep the pedals! leave them alone they didnt hurt anyone!

are you trying to chain drive i assume?
tryout a friction drive on the wheel very easy, usually bolt on and wont ruin the bike if it is worth alot of $

very killer bike id slap a motor on it myself

if no a FD then rag joint the left sife of the wheel and you can probably fit a frame mount if your motor spins the right waydance1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Last edited:

Mister Z

Jul 7, 2010
Mishawaka Indiana
The Ideal bicycle company located in Taiwan produced bicycles similar to yours under their brand and for other brands. The Raleigh Rampar for example.

Your bike may not be one of these but it looks remarkably similiar.

The Ideal factory was destroyed by fire and never reopened.

The Yamaha bike utilized a triple tree front fork with one hydraulic tube and the other a false tube.