Clockwise 4 stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have a 99cc predator, it is ccw. Does anyone know of a somewhat similar engine that is cw?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I think that the old "Iron Horse" brand 4 stroke antique washing machine motors meet that requirement.
You can reverse drive rotation with the preddy by driving a remote idler sprocket with the engine, and running a jackshaft sprocket against the OUTSIDE of the primary chain.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I didn't even think of which side he was referring to for rotation. It actualy is ccw if you look at the PTO.
I just understood that he wanted one that turns opposite of the Preddy, which is CCW like almost all current stationary motors, if facing the flywheel. So there's no reason to pointificate and confuse the issue needlessly over semantics. No help for what he wants to know at all.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
it makes alot.... ccw turning motor would need left handed threads to keep the bolts from backing out at the ends of the crank
if you look at a clock from the rear does it the run backwards and subtract time off the dials on its face?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?keyword=NEGH&catname=engines&PAGELEN=10000

here is a list of motors and they ALL spin clockwise
every small gas motor I have owned spins clockwise even the lowly 2stoke china dolls spin clockwise

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Motor rotation is normally taken from viewing the PTO. The 99cc preadator comes MARKED CCW PTO (end of story).

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Wayne Z I was looking for a cw pto as I wanted to have the auto-clutch on the right hand of the bike and jackshafted to the left where my variator setup is located.
Wayne my variator setup differs from yours as it does not use a variator spring and is strictly manualy controled. It uses a lever/cam to operate the variator. I have only bench tested it but it seems to operate fine.
Guess I'll stick with the 99cc and forget about the j-shaft.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I think that the old "Iron Horse" brand 4 stroke antique washing machine motors meet that requirement.
You can reverse drive rotation with the preddy by driving a remote idler sprocket with the engine, and running a jackshaft sprocket against the OUTSIDE of the primary chain.
That is a pretty slick idea (sprocket running off the outside of the primary drive chain). I just may use that on a future project just to do it!

However I will stick with my CCW predy and just keep everything on the left side(not as I had envisioned).

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A CW turning engine would be really cool. Could do a lot of unique builds.

What are you thinking Russell? It really is an interesting thought.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know what this has to do with the discussion but on the local news tonight they reported that there was a tornado in eastern Colorado that was a "reverse rotation storm". They said the tornado was rotating backwards from what is usually seen in the northern hemisphere.

So, it made me wonder; If your engine runs counter-clockwise and you took it south, below the equator, would it run in reverse? :)

Tom

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That is a pretty slick idea (sprocket running off the outside of the primary drive chain). I just may use that on a future project just to do it!

However I will stick with my CCW predy and just keep everything on the left side(not as I had envisioned).
Well, you can do an inframe friction drive and get the look you desire. With the large roller, it worked very well on my first Preddy build.

DSC_1561.JPG

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I don't know what this has to do with the discussion but on the local news tonight they reported that there was a tornado in eastern Colorado that was a "reverse rotation storm". They said the tornado was rotating backwards from what is usually seen in the northern hemisphere.

So, it made me wonder; If your engine runs counter-clockwise and you took it south, below the equator, would it run in reverse? :)

Tom
from what I hear the toilet bowls in OZ do swirl to the left there in the land of Down Under

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
2door...rather not know....

Only motors that I am aware of that have a reverse rotation option are marine outboards for use in multiple motor setups
The old Cushman scooter motors are opposite of normal. They have the flywheel on the left and the clutch on the right.

I think the GMC -71 series engines can be assembled to run either way.

Last edited:

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
...It depends what end of the drill bit Your looking at....The chucked end or the cutting end....Tigmaster....

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I'll go with that logic but that means it won't run at all on the equator. And if I do get it started Don't know if I'll take off fwd or backwards!

Tom