how to shorten chain

GoldenMotor.com

nadroj

Oct 1, 2008
Hi,
I need to remove about 7-8 links from my chain, it has a master link. What kind of tools do i need. I dont have a dremel or a good drill or a grinder.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
You should get a chain breaker tool.It will come in handy later too. you are asking what kind of tools you need,well, either a dremel or a drill or a grinder will work too,perhaps you can borrow one of these from someone, or as a last resort go to a bike shop and ask them to remove the links for you. Should be no more than 5-10 bucks.
If you are careful you can also punch out the pin with a nail or something.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The pins are pretty hard to punch out, nearly impossible to punch back in. Get a good breaker or find somebody with tools and an interest in motorized bicycles.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
i just whent thru this problem.

i whent and bought the 4.95 bell chain braker at wall mart.

it fits a 415 chain but when you go and brake it, the thereds stript.

so bought a new one and the chain post broke!!! BS

so i went to a local bike shop(try a bike) and they broke it with know problem with a Park tool chain braker. so i whent and orderd own from SBP
(Welcome to Sick Bike Parts) and its perfect!!!

save your money

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Get a cheap file and a punch, with a master link you just have to knock out the links you don't want. I usually try to put them back together and not use the master link but if you are in a jam just file down the pin and knock it out. Be careful though to get the right length.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I cut the link in the chain with a jigsaw or you can use a hacksaw,
cut one link,count from there how many to remove,then cut again
break off the cut link pieces with pliers,pieces come right off,and pins fall right out,then slide a master link right in its place,pins go in easy- joining the 2 sides of chain back together,its easy this way

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Dremel is cheap, and SO handy. That is what I used!
Well, duuuh, on me. :oops: Hacksaws and Dremel tools. I got'em both too. Oh yeah, I just broke my cheapy, cast aluminum, Wally tool as well. I thought I had the pin out, but the tool had spread itself open and cracked. :( I'm going to be in town today so I'll look for a good one from one of the many bike shops. (^)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I keep a punch, a nail and a piece of wood with a drilled hole just for this. Always worked just fine for chinagurls. Used it on 4 stroke kit. Worked but took a lot more work. Might just have to buy a real breaker some day.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Got a new tool! I noticed that you also have to watch from which direction you press out the pin. The chains I have, the pin is peened on one side. You don't want to press the pin out by pushing on that side, which is usually the "wrong" side of the bike. Gotta sit on the left side to press them out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks GF. I didn't know it mattered which side you drove from.
Where/what kind did you get? I am shopping.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Well, not all chains may have this feature. Just gotta check the one you're working on and make sure to drive the pin from the opposite direction if it is "flared" on one side.

I went to a local bike shop and picked up a chain tool made by Rivoli. It's black, well made and tight and has longer "handles" than the cheaper made tools. Had to work the link into the holder. The cheapy I got from Wally's was obviously cast and the links kept slipping out. The Rivoli cost me all of $10. They did have another I was eyeing, but it cost $16. Took a chance on the less expensive and I'm happy with it.

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
Almost All The Chain Breakers I Have Used Were Garbage. I Use A Punch, Hammer And A Vise, And Have A Couple Of Beers When I Smash A Finger. Getting The Pins In Sometimes Makes You Want To Break Something, But Remember Your Smarter Than The Chain, So Take Your Time. If Your Doing It Right You'll Have A 12ver Of Miller Lite In Your Fridge And You'll Be Riding Of In The Sunset...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Almost All The Chain Breakers I Have Used Were Garbage. I Use A Punch, Hammer And A Vise, And Have A Couple Of Beers When I Smash A Finger. Getting The Pins In Sometimes Makes You Want To Break Something, But Remember Your Smarter Than The Chain, So Take Your Time. If Your Doing It Right You'll Have A 12ver Of Miller Lite In Your Fridge And You'll Be Riding Of In The Sunset...
snork, that was good...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
for me a beer and a hammer equals pain use a vice grip to grip the punch then you might miss the hand with the hammer.bf.
Norman