BoFab Cycles Schwinn Gp50..Morini clone!

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
How does it feel btw? Is it ok or too soft the suspension? I would like to get the front lower than on your pics though but I dont know if thats possible with that type of fork.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
you can lower them if you want.. they are fully adjustable but mine will hit the handle bars if i try to go lower. if you use the threaded one and the 1" quill stem and diffrent bars than mine you can lower it til the lower tree hits the tire...

im not sire what you mean by suspension too soft?? this is a ridged fork meaning no suspension.... but yes it feels mutch better than stock.. mutch more solid and the disk set up is the cats pajamas!! i had to buy a new wheel set for the disk break and got a disc rear to mount the sprocket too. they wer a nice set with sealed bearings ,so that within itself is a big upgrade and better feel. probly just in my head but i think i go faster with them too!! lol

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
oh yeah im sorry i confused that. i was also checking another one with hydraulic suspension. i need something with suspension. the streets here are f@cked up. you cant drive to close to a car because you never know if a crater comes up to swallow you complete. now im not sure to get it or not. it looks great but i need some sort of suspension at least for the front. do you have 2 accounts in here? aren't you "the dax guy"?

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
no im not mr. dax. i just build bikes and sell them on the side. im a mechanic/fabricator for the city i live in..

well then if you have a beach cruiser you just need to find a 1" threaded front end i have one im putting on today (now actually lol) that has a mount for disc also. most of this kind will be a bit springy because of their lower quality non adjustable.. 1 1/8" forks get better

the fork im using is called : NS2 noleen
its for a 29 or 700 series rim but if you use the disk break instead of the v brake it will work

Last edited:

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Irebo man, thanks for posting the vids. But dude you should look into getting the stock pipe. I made a pipe from a kx65 and i took about 2 inches out of it, and it ran like garbage down low, not really fun.

I got a procircuit pipe for the water cooled KTM50 cheap, and it really woke this thing up it a big way.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Well I may look into a diff pipe but I did a bit of research and learned a bit about 2stroke pipes. I made mine so that it gets great top end but the head tube is at its max length so I get good down low grunt. My bike works verry well and looks good doing it!! Lol. But I have no need to change the pipe as I said. It works verry well.. The only thing I have noticed is after a long wot run you have to stage it down a bit as you slow. (blip the throttle). The Engin has a run away feel til you blip it. But may be carb too got better with the real carb.

I bet you're chamber was a bit too large and when you shortend the head tube it took all the low end away. Make it between 8 and 11" and you will get you're low end back I would bet!!

Last edited:

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
The only reason i say that is because you said that you suspect the 9hp claim, and have had motors with dissimilar output...i would guess pipe

are you running the 19mm or 21mm?

I am not certain that it feels like 9hp, then again mines not geared right...but it goes faster than i want to, and i like to go fast

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
carb is a 19mm dellorto PHBG.

the same bike and pipe was used on the engine power difference.. but i did find out that one of my engines had a bent reed cage and that was probly the issue.
on that note i bet a carbon reed swap would help this thing too!
...im on the hunt!!...
but i dont believe the 9hp claim for a few reasons.. i have a bike with a morini s6-t with the smaller Dell'Orto SHA 14/12. it hits way harder and revs higher. its rated at 5.8 at 8000 rpm. it revs higher than the gp50 and does it with a smaller carb..
also look at the pic and notice the extra porting on the 5 and 9 hp pistions.. the clone engine has no extra porting so i know it cant be in the same ballpark for power. it is a nice engine but it is no 9hp nor a fine morini

so i didnt catch the gear ratio you wer using... did you try to mess with the clutch springs or did you run it as it was?

Attachments

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
So if you have ever messed with this type of engine before you know that they are pretty wide and unless you have a verry wide crank kit or use child bicycle crank arms. Also the exhaust and carb chain ect fit so that's where it ended up. Looks good. Can't tell much diff with them up like that or stuffed lower. It works good just can't get the spark plug out. Ez fix tho. I have like .5 mm clearance to the crank. If you read the build thred from when Dax tryed this engine he could not peadle. I wanted to be able to peadle!! Simple

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Ah ok. Well I will wouldn't want the engine so high mounted for how it looks and to keep the weight as low as possible and as you said, you cant even take out the spark plug right now. I just wanted to know the reason why its mounted so high because it looks kind of out of place to me. So I guess with $20 bucks more for wide cranks this problem would be solved for me.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Yea maby. But the carb air filter will be too low. Just asking for trouble if you put it too low. And a crank kit is a bit more. You have to but the bb and arms.. I like how the bike is. Engine looks good to me. And really wide cranks suck!!

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I literally never used the cranks except for braking. I was just looking into one of the links you posted and found a very nice stretch cruiser there for a really good price. Thank you

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
well i cant wait to see what set up you finally come up with. let me know... oh and i bet you use youre cranks a lot more than you think! the wide ones just fooe funny to ride and can get you in trouble in a lean if youre not carefull..lol i know a few folks that have crashed a new bike cause of coaster breaks and wide crank kits... they dont mix.lol