50s style first build..

GoldenMotor.com

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Not shure this Community is right....but hope for moderators to "argue", if not.
Well, as an newbie in cycles, i want to share my build.. Plans are to get some flowing style as american 50s cars did. Living in Norway, all parts ain´t so easy to find, and the laws of motorbiking did make big changs this year.
But as an vintage transportation vehicle, its possible to use on the streets, they had no registration legalization.

Found a barn find to use, a "START" norwegian built bicycle made before 1955, when production ended.

and here is my idea:

Attachments

Last edited:

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Yes it is! (not only hope for......plan to do it!)
The original Norwegian built "START" (before 1955) wasnt in a great condition, so did fit for my build...some great parts...seat w/springs, wide ballon rims & fenders, white pedals, and some frameparts...

The barn find:

Attachments

Last edited:

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
;-) yes....but i see the pricetag on a similar engine.... If i found a twin with long cylinders, even its small displacement...i considerate it.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Dismantled the bike now. Remarkable...nearly nothing wasn´t stuck! Frame cleaned from paint and rust. Strengthen some of the joints, and changed the top tube to a bowed one, together with the rods/tubes down to rear. Seat post slanted at new angle.
Checked the straightness before (and it was´nt straight.) and after, now completly adjusted.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks....but if you see on the "seatpost" (tube from crank to seat) it have a slight different angle when passed the sprocket, Tube was not rusted, and just bended it a little to fit my intended profile. The top (now bow) was changed to a new tube, curbed ,and also strengthen in ends. The rear curbed tubes, are also new ones. Tubes bend & welded in .Recheck of straightness and correct if wrong angle.

Here´s a pic of completly finished & primed frame. (approx. 4¤ more rearward)

Attachments

Last edited:

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
It had been stored inside a barn the last 20-50 years, but some was rusted. Steering rod was pretty bad outside,with chrome mostly gone. But after grinding, founded the steel had lagrer diameter than new ones today... so grinded, and powdercoated it in chrome..
Alike with the top tube...lot of rusty pitting, and when wanted another curb on it, easyer to change the hole tube, and also do some strenghten in the ends.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks, for the welcome too! :)
Engine....not quite shure yet. have an 46ccm chainsaw engine laying around with 3,7 hp, perhaps its used... Later are plan to find an vintage bicycle engine, perhaps trough some german friends, who could ship it to me. If i dont get any trips in working this winter......
I want something who could be a little period at the style i´m achieving.

Did some work this day, and made up the left (gasoline tank) of the tank, right part gonna be for storage and electrical. Hammer & dolly work.

Attachments

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Then frame is finished painted, and rear fender pinstriped! Also scallops are on!
Did fabricated the shape of the chainguard today. Bead rolled with shaped contours.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You're making nice progress. Since you have friends in Germany you want to consider this engine...PAGE 48. German Cyclemotors: Fichtel & Sachs ‘Model 1932′ engine; 1935 Triumph TS100 www.Cyclemaster.co.uk
It was originally made for light motorcycle/ bicycle frames and would fit in your frame. The model 1932 Ftichell & Sachs was made between 1930 & 1950 for different motorcycle companies in Germany mostly and was a great engine, 2 stroke, 2 speed, 98cc with a lighting coil. Fasteddy is using one on his build (the Indian Tadpole thread) and I'm using one, too, for my build (Indian Hiawatha thread). We had a lot of trouble finding that engine here in the United States, but in Germany it should be easy to come by. Just a suggestion if you go with another engine. Whatever you do, it will be a fine machine. Keep those pictures coming!
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh, that is a sweet engine! I like the way it attaches and uses the bottom bracket pedal crankcase. What a great design. 4 stroke and 48cc. Is the one you are trying to get a 2 speed? I hope you can manage to get it.
SB

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
There's one of those on UK eBay right now too. I love studying these engines. Loaded with unconventional and logical design, crafted with that great Italian precision. Form following function, leading to elegance......also leading to $$$$ !

The valves must be actuated by pulling the pushrods down instead of pushing them up. Taken just a little farther it could have almost been some sort of pushrod/desmodromic design.....stupire!...fantastico!

MHF

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
A 2-speed yes, Silverbear.... After beginning with the idea of motorized bicycle, and did some research about the different original ones, this came in mind, and a friend tip me on this one. Great slant on the cylinder, not many is similar to that style...
I know it could get high price, at least in US..but hopes the guy dont know the value.. :confused: