Fixed gas leak now engine only runs while peddaling.

GoldenMotor.com

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I had a really bad leak from one of the studs on the tank at work, so I loaded up the bike in a truck, laying it on it's side. After fixing the gas leak the bike would start as usual, but would only run while holding the throttle wide open and pedaling. I assumed the float was bent, took the carb apart and it did look like it was bent. so I put a new NT carb on. I still have the same issue. The bike was running strong before lying it on it's side. Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks
Kelly

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Probably flooded the motor if your petcock was on, or your spark plug wire is loose. Check the plug wire if thats not it, then pull the plug make sure your petcock is off and then ride the bike normally with the clutch engaged and try to get that excess fuel out. You might also have gunk in the line blocking fuel flow or an air leak somewhere. Worth a try...maybe someone else will chime in with more advice.

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I assumed it was an airleak also, so I bought a tube of silicone yesterday and sealed the intake manifold. I will recheck when I get home and make sure, it's kinda hard to check for airleaks when the motor won't run without pedaling though.

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
So the silicone on the intake manifold appears to be sealing well. I replaced the spark plug. Removed the gas line from the carb and I have a continuous stream of gas. The motor starts right up, but just will not accelerate. The motor stays on as long as i am pedaling or until I pull in the clutch. If I quit pedaling the engine will continue to run as the bike slows to a halt, then the motor dies. I am at a complete loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my only means of transportation and supposed to be my daily rider.

Thanks
Kelly

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
From your description I'd say the engine isn't running at all. What you're hearing is just the piston moving through the intake and exhaust strokes.
It sounds like you've confirmed one of three things the engine needs to run and that's fuel. Now you need to see if you have ignition and air. Is the choke working properly? Lever down is open (off) lever up is closed (on). Must be open to run but might require a little choke to start initially when the engine is cold.

Ignition: Remove the spark plug, reconnect the plug wire to it and hold it against the cylinder head fins while pushing the bike forward, clutch engaged and look for a spark at the plug's electrodes. You'll need to push it at a good clip, Just moving it forward might not be enough to provide a good test. If no spark then start looking at your wiring. If you're relying on the kit supplied plug in connectors, discard them and solder the wires. This is also when you want to check the kill switch. If you have an ohm meter look for no continuity when the button is not pressed and continuity when depressed. If in doubt just leave the kill switch out of the circuit for testing. If the kill switch isn't the culprit then examine the connections at the ends of the spark plug wire. Is it screwed into the CDI tightly and do you have a good connection at the top of the plug? Get back to us with the results of these tests. Laying the bike on its side would not have hurt anything but you might have inadvertently disconnected a wiring connection while moving the bike.

Also check the lable on the silicone product you're using. Most of them will say "not compatible with gasoline". If this is the case then your sealing job will go away eventually leaving you with an air leak.
Tom

Last edited:

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
2door, I owe you a round or two. It sure sounded like it was running, but checked for spark and nada. Re-attached the CDI cables and voila! Thank you so much1