bike refuses to start

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
well guys ive run into a problem,my bike refuses to start,or make effort to for that matter...
when i pedal it makes the noise of the piston moving and junk but no combustion noise at all...like it has no power and after a few runs of this gas and oil leak out of my exhaust and where the exhaust screws onto the engine.
ive changed the spark plug,emptied the gas tank and remixed fuel for it,the magneto is fine because when i pedal my headlight still works...
any suggestions?

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
if you have gas coming out of you muffler you have a defective carbutator what i mean is the needle thats goes to your throle is back wards i had the same problem but once they fix it it satrted right up

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Are these bike motor kits so standard that someone can ask a question like this with no details and get advice?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I really don't know anything about the china girl engines. Do they have a choke? Do you have to mess with the fuel mixture screws?

My homemade setup is finicky. If someone just jumped on my bike and tried to run it, they probably wouldn't get far. I have to lean up the carb screw in colder weather. I work the choke till the motor warms up.
Now it's easy for me to tell when the motor is running rich or lean, and how to adjust. But when I first built this thing, it was touchy.

Maybe one of these days I'll get a chinese motor kit and learn it and love it. And I'll try to give constructive help to people instead of making wisecracks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are these bike motor kits so standard that someone can ask a question like this with no details and get advice?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I really don't know anything about the china girl engines. Do they have a choke? Do you have to mess with the fuel mixture screws?

My homemade setup is finicky. If someone just jumped on my bike and tried to run it, they probably wouldn't get far. I have to lean up the carb screw in colder weather. I work the choke till the motor warms up.
Now it's easy for me to tell when the motor is running rich or lean, and how to adjust. But when I first built this thing, it was touchy.

Maybe one of these days I'll get a chinese motor kit and learn it and love it. And I'll try to give constructive help to people instead of making wisecracks.
a dam,
To answer your question; yes, if the engine is a Chinese 2 stroke they are all essentially identical. Enough so that when a question is asked about one, no matter the brand name, decal or supplier, the problems can be diagnosed relatively easily. They all have common problems and fixes and that is why often you'll see advice given even when the questioner has not specified which engine he has. The problems come when a guy has a 4 stroke and people try to give him help based on the belief that he has a 2 stroke. This is why we ask for specific information before offering assistance. And yes, the China Girls have a choke, just like a real engine. :)
Tom

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
ok 1st off thanks guys,i did all the suggestions and i belee the light unhooked did the trick but i dont get why,ive had the headlight on for like 3 months and it ran fine until now?anyways the bike starts and runs now but its a tad bit weaker on hills than it used to be but this could just be where it sat for a while

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Could be your sparkplug got dirty and had less spark,not enough for engine and light.

If you want a light,put a on/off switch, turn your idle higher and start and run engine then turn on light. Getting a better sparkplug should also help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Reducing the plug gap will effect how the engine runs with a light wired to the white wire. The wider the gap, the higher the current required to bridge the gap, hence the less power will be available for the light. Consequently the more current required for the light, the less is available for the ignition. Cabinfever's suggestion might help you. Replace the spark plug with a good quality automotive plug, make sure you have good connections of the plug wire at the CDI and plug boot and you might find your engine will perform as before with the hlight on. The other optioon is to go for a battery powered light and leave the white wire unused and isolated. Most of us do.
Tom

stricly4myninjas

Jun 9, 2010
victorville
I have this EXACT same problem only I have no light. When I bought the bike, it already had a motor on it and the guy said all it needed to run was a magneto. So I bought a new spark plug, CDI pack, magneto, and magneto loop. I installed everything and still got the same problem. I continued to ride, and I got a couple back fires, but i can not get this motor to run?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if that was directed towards me, lemme just say that i've typed the same answers to the same questions so many times (and will keep doing so) and have read the same advice from people over and over (as well as the bad advice,) that every now and then, i just type something off the top of my head, or the tip of my fingers, so instead of reading reply after reply about how the choke works (or doesn't,) there's something inbetween to break up the monotony.

and you know what they say about people who can't take a joke, right?

they say they have no sense of humor.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you are getting backfires, that sounds like the timing is off. What do you mean by 'magneto loop'? If you mean the rotating magnet, it might be on backwards, thus firing the plug at the wrong time.
So, flip the magnet around and give it a whirl.
Let us know what happens, we are here to help.