Ashamed to be an Australian by the governments actions at the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix

GoldenMotor.com

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Although i'm a proud Australian, my feelings of disgust go towards the Victorian Police (and the Victorian government) for making Australia look like an international laughing stock by allowing legislation that enables Nazi style police tactics, supported by the utterly mindless road traffic laws that are forced upon the people, of which it has no relevance to true safety measures.

Lewis Hamilton was "NOT" behaving in a dangerous or reckless manner and there was no justification to make a highly trained and competent driver responsible for actions that were in no way dangerous or life threatening.
He exited a side street and the wheels were spinning as the vehicle straigtened up. At no time was the vehicle out of control and at all times the driver had full command of the vehicle.

Mark Webber was correct in his view of the incident and on a previous occasion, the head of Mercedes Benz mentioned that the Victorian governments preoccupation with connecting any form of speed to injuries and fatalities is false logic, when ignoring calls to dramatically improve driver training and situational awareness measures.
Furthermore, he made mention about the unlimited speed zones in Germany and people do not die by the thousands just because their vehicle travels at 31 miles an hour in a 30 mile an hour zone, or travelling above 60 miles an hour.

The Victorian government knocked back a proposal to have "all" young drivers pass an advanced driver training program before being allowed behind the wheel on public roads.
This proposal was automatically knocked back by the governments claim that advanced driver training causes drivers to be more confident and take excessive risks.
Basically their logic is to have all drivers trained to the lowest level of competency to increase safety and reduce road trauma.

I can say that i'm ashamed to be an Australian by the way the government took an aggressive stance to back the police force in a mindless display of overt belligerence to the people who pay their taxes to the support the system that supports their criminal code of conduct.

At the end of the day, idiots will be idiots, regardless of age or traffic laws
If those people make a decision to behave in a reckless and dangerous manner; failing to maintain control of their vehicle, no amount of ever constricting traffic laws will prevent them for doing so - they only end up targeting yesterdays law abiding citzen.

Mark Webbers words below:

Speaking out after fellow F1 driver Lewis Hamilton was caught by police doing a burnout in a Mercedes outside the Albert Park racetrack on Friday night, Webber said he had spent the past few days in Melbourne "dodging the ridiculous speeding and parking (rules) and all the nanny-state country that we have down here in Australia".

The comments prompted Norm Robinson to speak out just a day after learning his son Luke, 19, was killed when his car struck a pole at an estimated 160km/h at Lovely Banks, near Geelong, early on Sunday.

"Maybe if he loses a loved one in a car accident he might regret saying that," Mr Robinson told reporters on Monday.

Webber's remarks also raised the ire of Victoria's top traffic cop, Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay, who defended Victoria's tough stance on speeding and hoon behaviour.

"I'd be so bold to say, too ... that there's probably quite a few Mark Webber fans still alive today because of the work we do," Mr Lay told ABC Radio on Monday.

But Webber has won support from right-wing philosophical thinktank group the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA).

IPA spokesman Tim Wilson says Webber, from Queanbeyan in southern NSW, was spot-on.

"Webber's comments expose the incremental efforts by government to regulate and tax every part of our lives," he said.

"The problem is the government is introducing the nanny state bit by bit so most Australians don't notice how far we're down the path."

But Liberty Victoria president Michael Pearce said the Victorian government had been highly intrusive in its legislation surrounding the staging of the grand prix at Albert Park, suspending the normal rights of citizens to enjoy local amenities.

"Mark Webber should become familiar with that legislation before he shoots his mouth off about anti-hoon laws," Mr Pearce said.

"There was a raft of highly contentious legislation which deprived the residents of the surrounding areas of all their normal rights of protest and amenity, and this was so people like Mark Webber could engage in legalised hooning."

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Re: Ashamed to be an Australian by the governments actions at the Melbourne F1 Grand

Woow big post dude, Police presence always swells leading up to and during big events and if its motor related well...

Our road toll per annum per capita is 1 of the highest in the world with only 25million peeps
and the land mass of the states!
That basicly means we carnt drive for s@#t

I was slightly amused that he got cought 1 the cars a cop magnet 2 its F1 weekend welcome to Australia haha seriously wtf was he thinkin he should of freakin better known better, he's ment to be a rollmodel yeh teaching other YOUNG drivers like him 25 to be responsible instead he spin's em up round a corner, did the cops know it was him? oh sorry lewis didnt know it was you...carry on then.

I agree his out of control and the average jo's outa control would be different but it was in an area with lots of people sippin late', Do that here in Sydney 3 months impoundment.

Taxes im against.

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Re: Ashamed to be an Australian by the governments actions at the Melbourne F1 Grand

It was obvious that Lewis Hamilton has performed that kind of action before.
After all he is in a flagship mercedes Benz motor vehicle and his presence and driving style attract the right kind of attention to the brand, reenergizing Mercedes Benz's image as a manufacturer of performance vehicles.

Spinning the wheels, whilst in a straight line with the engine wizzing making the right kind of sounds is something the media loves and in any outher country besides Australia, it would have made front page news for all the right reasons.
It would have been free advertising space injecting a more youthful image to the Mercedes Benz brand and also the cashed up younger age drivers in the BMW segment.

In any other country, the police would have given Lewis Hamilton the thumbs up and then pulled him over to get his autograph; sending him on his way with cheers and positive vibe from crowd and police alike.

In Australia we are so close to being a Nazi led political regime, yet failing to realise it before things have gone so far that the tide can never be turned.
Naturally, you will always have the idiots that can't see the forrest for the trees and blindly agree with whatever propaganda the government spits out - in this case a safety related campaign that cleverly brainwashes people into accepting ever increasing road user costs and mindless and senseless traffic infringement laws.

Like i said: yesterdays law abiding citizen becomes tomorrows criminal by moving the goal posts on social behaviour, forcing unrealistic and abnormal patterns of human behaviour on the people; bringing forward legislative changes by means of an untouchable subject of safety.

Fabian

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO

Legal,a discription of ok?,,,,,legal robbery if done by govt.officials is ok,just ask them

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro

oi here here to the cnadian mentality is to dissalow aney compitence shone and tame aney new thoukht and likewize to do away wih aney thought of being self reliant and moraly right biy food at store it comes frome the store its healthey eat it stay weak the store will always have food in it so dont wory till your on the menu to bad! your already on it but your not realy Full of protene are you?? if a cow is what it eats and the corn its fed is black how tasty is the cow to be???

Last edited:

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA

oi here here to the cnadian mentality is to dissalow aney compitence shone and tame aney new thoukht and likewize to do away wih aney thought of being self reliant and moraly right biy food at store it comes frome the store its healthey eat it stay week the storr will always have food in it so dont woory till your on the menu to bad your already on it but your not realy pull of protene are you?? if a cow is what it eats and the corn its fed is black how tasty is the cow to be???

first time i have said this, but..... what did you just say? i cannot follow this at all.

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro

ok ya none of that made a point just a vent. my bad . all i was thinking is that the totalitaren opression is world ni listen to the musick its one big party here evrey ones rich as god and were all happy the worlds a garden and intelengece will get you well fed prais the lord only if i am him!

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia

we have 1 of the highest crash rates because aus is such a big empty place people get out to the bush & the desert and go way faster than ther spped limit eg in china and london its so clogged up that you cant go faster than 30klm and that wont kill you

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia

i was riding my bike and got hit by a car at 28klmph i scraped my shoulder thaT hurt then i got up, broke his windshheild with a brick and rode home no biggie

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne

The reason why we have high crash rates in Australia is because of appallingly low standards of driver training and this in turn allows drivers of appallingly low ability to be in vauge control a motor vehicle.

It's doesn't take a genius to work out the consequences.
If all drivers are trained (with annual retests) to a minimum standard that is required of Police Officers and have licence issued or revoked based on medical or mental health history, the road safety issue would almost become a non existent issue.
Yes, a motor vehicle licence would become significantly more expensive, but i'm prepared to wear that concept so that i'm safe from other drivers who shouldn't be sharing my road space.

The upside of such driver training and preconditional issuances of a motor vehicle licence is that a good number of people who are crash statistics waiting to happen wouldn't be allowed on the road to contribute to those statistics.
I've argued for this notion long and hard, ever since gaining my licence.

Fabian

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia

The reason why we have high crash rates in Australia is because of appallingly low standards of driver training and this in turn allows drivers of appallingly low ability to be in vauge control a motor vehicle.

It's doesn't take a genius to work out the consequences.
If all drivers are trained (with annual retests) to a minimum standard that is required of Police Officers and have licence issued or revoked based on medical or mental health history, the road safety issue would almost become a non existent issue.
Yes, a motor vehicle licence would become significantly more expensive, but i'm prepared to wear that concept so that i'm safe from other drivers who shouldn't be sharing my road space.

The upside of such driver training and preconditional issuances of a motor vehicle licence is that a good number of people who are crash statistics waiting to happen wouldn't be allowed on the road to contribute to those statistics.
I've argued for this notion long and hard, ever since gaining my licence.

Fabian
i dissagree, 1. my aunti said a licence saiud in the uk is a licence easier to obtain than in aus, 2. 85% of raod fatalities are in the desert/bush. even in any capital city the crash rates are way way lower because the average speed is lower

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

...and I thought we had some questionable laws/drivers here in the states.