belt drive build

GoldenMotor.com

zukjay

Feb 26, 2010
indiana
this is the start to my whizzer type belt drive. i started today got about 2 or 3 hours in so far. i welded the drive pulley to drive wheel and extended the triangle on the left side. i used some 3/16x1 stock to expand the lower frame so i could keep tight clearance between crank and drive rim. ill post more as i go

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Interesting,I really want to see how it turns out,I like the idea of belt drive.

zukjay

Feb 26, 2010
indiana
man you hit that on the nose Terry, how did you guess.
so i gotta find parts for a jack-shaft i have some 1/2" steel rod from another project(26cc jeep power-wheel for my boy) I was thinking call some furnace or electric motor repair places. they have those squirrel cage blowers some have 2 pulleys on them and i believe they are 1/2" reason for jack-shaft engine output shaft right direction wrong side of bike

zukjay

Feb 26, 2010
indiana
well i got back out in the garage for a bit tonight. worked on cutting down chainsaw case to minimum, and mounting the engine. I made a pretty good looking top engine mount. it took forever to decide how to orient the engine. here are a few pics.

this is the engine im working with on this build.

a homemade muffler, man this thing works good, saw this how to on spike's muscle cars couple weeks back.

stock muffler mod to hook up exhaust pipe

maybe rear pulley and use serpentine belt for secondary belt drive

zukjay

Feb 26, 2010
indiana

top engine mount solid but i need at least one more good mount.

side shot nice clean fit

i do have a few more pics but just different angles. saturday by brother in law will be over for a few hours and we will knock stuff out more pics to come

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
LOL OK so I have fess up here because I'm not smart I'm just a smart A$$. In your very first pic at the top you can see the chain saw laying on the ground next to your bike so I just put two and two together. Can I make a suggestion why don't you strip that chain saw down to its bare elements. I don't think you need and the housing and it would make your build look not quite so shade tree. Aside from that I like what you are doing keep it up

Last edited:

zukjay

Feb 26, 2010
indiana
well i thought of that too, but i want this thing to last. if i strip all of the plastic off, it will not cool properly. but it would look better. i think im gonna cover the whole engine area with sheet metal. but leave the pull start and vent in that area cut out/ exposed i think. i would be cool. kinda like a crotch rocket has the motor all covered. i will have to keep weight in mind, but 22ga metal is pretty light.

i pedaled it around tonight and i started the motor just to see if it could be done while in saddle. i will need motor mounts cuz 7 grand on the old fellers is a bit much. so rubber mounts are a must

zukjay

Feb 26, 2010
indiana
wow i like that. i would have loved to not need the jack shaft but output shaft is on wrong side for right direction. i like you motor on that thing its bada$$. one thing about the jackshaft its very tunable, with pulley size. this one will have a manual clutch the centrifucal clutch is gone

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I just finished a project using this type of drivetrain, but I went with a Vbelt.
My pics were bumped over to the new MTB Pic section...Search 'Rocky Mountain RM7'.
Hope u like
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
You can do it with fatter tires if you have more frame/fork clearance to space the pulley-rim further away from the tire-rim. I decided on a road machine with high pressure skinny tires for maximum efficiency. I am looking into a cafe racer motorcycle style fairing now.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very Cool Zuk and every body. Some great thunks and application.

Zuk, did you weld the second rim/band onto your rear wheel? Can't wait to see her done. Just bought 2 chainsaws and found most of what I was thinking won't work. Always the way, eh? But thats half the fun.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
man you hit that on the nose Terry, how did you guess.
so i gotta find parts for a jack-shaft i have some 1/2" steel rod from another project(26cc jeep power-wheel for my boy) I was thinking call some furnace or electric motor repair places. they have those squirrel cage blowers some have 2 pulleys on them and i believe they are 1/2" reason for jack-shaft engine output shaft right direction wrong side of bike
Oh Man! Great idea about the blower jack shafts. I have a buddy who does large scale scrap. He has a few comerial sized building AC units and ducting sitting in a pile. Thanks for that thought! I love free, snork

.flg.

syates234

Jun 14, 2011
idaho
I like the idea! But I was wondering, I got a 68cc motor on my bike I bought online and I was wondering if it is possible to turn it into belt drive using smaller pullys i stead of another bike rim? Any suggestions????

onemanzu

Aug 27, 2011
poland springs, NE
What I'm going to be trying is a 16 bicycle rim for a nock off whizzer style pulley... Just an idea that I had, might be something to consider, instead of another 26 inch wheel.

I looked into the pulley that didn't mount to spokes idea, I couldn't find anything that seemed logical/ price appropriate, without a huge reduction set up.