new motor wont start

GoldenMotor.com

ct66rider

Jan 20, 2010
ct
i have the grubee 66cc slanthead skyhawk motor and i was trying to start it today sometimes it sounded like it wanted to start and sometimes it finally did but once i hit the gas it would die out it has great spark so im guessing it the carb what could you guys tell me?

ct66rider

Jan 20, 2010
ct
yea i also tried that and with the choke fully on it started and when i hit the gas a little or turned the choke off it would just cut out

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
When you hooked up the throttle cable, you had to assemble the carb. Inside the carb is the slide, and inside that is a "needle" the C clip is the little clip at the top of it.

Look for the grooves in the needle, you want to have your clip at the second from the top to get you in the ball park.

There's a good long post around here somewhere with pictures.....search for "complete carb teardown" or similar.

ct66rider

Jan 20, 2010
ct
just looked at the clip and it was on the second from the top already so i tryed starting it rich and still nothing even with 3/4 choke

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
try a few of the silly things , turn your fuel petcock lever the other way , pop the hose off and see if gas comes out mabey the filter is clogged . check the henway
Dice,
I know you're sitting on pins and needles, waiting for someone to do this, so...
"Duhhhh, ah, what's a "henway"?

As for the original question; I have no personal experience with the slant head motors but I read a lot here and I've seen several mentions of head gasket leaks on them. Check around the head/cylinder mating surfaces and make sure everything is sealed and you're not loosing compression. If so there is a simple fix. Get back to us.
Tom

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Yeah i don't know what a henway is either. Check your muffler gasket, if its not sealed good the engine will be hard to start. Prime twice and use full choke (choke lever up). when it starts, pull clutch in and stop bike then turn ide screw in (clockwise) , then put choke lever down.

Last edited:

ct66rider

Jan 20, 2010
ct
i tryed again today and i had it running for a little but it just died out and never started again so i pulled the plug and it was soaked in gas

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Float sticking, C clip too high (doubt it, I'd check the first). Or maybe just flooded from too much choking and pedalling.
Remove the plug, spin it over to clear the cylinder, and dry the plug. (I'd get an new NGK B5HS) Try your starting proceedure as follows- NO choke, pedal, pop the clutch, then reach over and slowly start to raise the choke while working the throttle a bit.