help! pull start broke

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i went to start my bike today,it takes like 4-5 pulls to start(it used to take 2) and i use the pull start on my dualstart engine.on the 3rd pull it pulled way to easy and my hand went up in the air.
i dont pull hard and the rope and handle are good(not broke) it must be something inside.
i hope its something i can fix myself,i cant afford to buy another pull start.
i did get it started by peddaling 5 feet and let out the clutch and it started right up,i couldnt belive it.
its acually easier to start by peddaling than the pull start.but i still want to fix it,because at the store it took me 4 peddal starts to get it running without engine stopping.
and i have to prime the engine for it to start like 2-3times.

48cc dualstart starfire gt2 grubee from gasbike.net

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i checked inside the pull start cover,but i dont see anything broken,but its still not catching when i pull it.i'll have to find a pick of inside or a diagram.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i looked inside again and took off the screw that holds a metal dish,i found a small tiny broken piece of metal wire,the wire goes around the inside of the metal dish and sticks out a little on one end to push the plastic finger out when you pull the handle to engine metal sprocket like thing on engine.so i still had enough wire so i used my pliers and angled the metal wire that was still around the dish.now when i pull the handle the plastic finger engages the engine sprocket thingy.i guess it was just a 2cent piece of wire that broke.i will buy a roll of wire so if it breaks again i'll have some.took me 15 mins to find the problem and 5 mins to fix.cost $free.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i tryed the pull start that i fixed the other day and it works good.
but it sounds like a duck when i pull the cord.i pull it and when the rope goes back in it goes quack quack quack quack.....lol....atleast it works.
but now i cant start the bike in the woods for fear of being shot by a hunter.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you can get a roll of thick wire from hardware store,auto store,or lowes. i didnt have to buy any yet because my fix worked and the quacking sound is gone now.

it just has to be thick enough and still able to bend it,its like bailing wire use to tie up a muffler. just bring in your old piece with you.probally best to go to a auto store and look near muffler section.its like $2-3 a roll at auto store(autozone) and $10 at hardware store.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Glad you fixed it. This post will be able to help other people out too from what you have found on how to fix it.

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
The plastic grommet that protects the pull rope from being severed by the edges of the aluminum housing on my pull starter was damaged and didn't stay put. Like an idiot I ignored it, until the rope severed and broke (duh). I ended up completely disassembling the pull starter and having to rewind the spring (that sucked). I recommend using a pair of vice grips if you ever have to rewind the spring.

Attachments