Mountain bike make over

GoldenMotor.com

rslavicek

Apr 24, 2009
San Diego
I finally got my kit and started building on a Specializied Stumpjumper frame that's about 10 years old. I had to do a little filing to make it fit on the oversized tubes and I'm working out clearance problems with the muffler and the front derailer. My main question is what to do with the clutch lever. The bike has front and rear brake levers. I can remove the front brake and replace it with the clutch which reduces my braking. Having both the cluch and front brake on the left side is possible but could be confusing. I could mount the cluch lever somewhere else or possibly build a lever that either works both brakes or the brake and the cluch. Any wisdom out there on an elegant way to have it all?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i moved my front brake lever to the right size,i put my clutch on left side.
i removed my rear brakes and lever,its not like youre going to use them,because the back wheel will warp and it will and the brakes would rub anyway.

skinnydog1_2007

Mar 12, 2009
melbourne australia
Cluth on the left. Dual brake levers on the right of my mountain bike for the front and back the pad type on the rim and a lever on the left for my front disk brake. Stops really well but if I hammer the front disk while hard on the right lever as well I think maybe that i would superman out in front of my bike lol.

rslavicek

Apr 24, 2009
San Diego
Thanks. I went with the dual brake lever on the right and the clutch on the left. It's not as much stopping power as I would like but it should work. I've ended up on the wrong side of my handlebars a couple of times and I would prefer not to repeat so I will go with the reduced stopping power for now.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
A couple of times I have needed to stop on a dime and give change. Two of those times I did a front wheel wheelie but didn't go over the bars, the third time I was going slow and just stepped over the bars without falling.

I'll never forget once when a kid ran out in front of me. I would have gone over the bars to keep from hitting him but he saw me and ran back out of the way, so I was able to let off the brakes and the rear wheel came back down in time.

I would rather have the stopping power and run the risk of going over the bars just so I know I can stop very quickly if needed.

Last edited:

rslavicek

Apr 24, 2009
San Diego
You may be right. I'm going to do some testing, just got it running today and the stopping power seemed okay. I have a hill close by that takes both hands on my road bike. With the drag of the additional chain and the larger wheels on the mountain bike the stopping power should be close to the same, anyway I'll try it on the hill and make any necessary changes. I'm not planning to ride the bike that fast, I'll be happy if I can hold 15 going up the hills.