High revving

GoldenMotor.com

danielnova

May 2, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey all I am having a problem relating to when I am on a bike ride. I disengaged the engine while it is still running to brake, but the engine revs at an extremely high rpm without me applying throttle. Why is it revving so fast?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
check the idle screw first. could be as simple as turning it out to lower the idle.

check that the throttle cable's not binding anywhere. they'll sometimes hang up where it goes into the adjuster on the carb. if you have any kinks or your zipties are too tight, that can stop the throttle from returning all the way.

check the adjuster barrel on the carb and where the cable enters the throttle. if they're screwed out, screw them in.

it could also be inside the throttle. the cheap plastic throttles can bind up as they wear out.

last, it could be an airleak. if the bike runs fine otherwise, it's probably a cable problem. if the idle rises and falls on it's own, or if the bike stalls or sputters, it's probably an airleak.

danielnova

May 2, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
I loosened the throttle cable and tightened the idiler screw and now it does well when it is disconnected for the first 5 min or so, but if I go full speed for a long stretch when I disconnect it still revs kind of high.
I tried slowing down before the turn but it still revs kind of high. Don't get me wrong, it is still doing much better now in the first mile or so, but I don't understand why it is revving at a higher idle once warmed up.
But I guess it is tolerable now.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Sounds like an air leak go over every thing even the crank seals. Simple carb spray will change the note of the motor when you find it.