Mounting the CDI

GoldenMotor.com

plutonyum

Feb 3, 2010
State College, PA
Hello MBers,

I am just about finished the installation of my kit (mini celebrationdance1)!
The last thing left to do is mount the CDI. But it seems the spark plug wire is too short to mount the box onto the lower bar, so I was wondering if anything would be affected if I were to mount it to the top crossbar, underneath the fuel tank.

Thank you,
Tony

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Hello MBers,

I am just about finished the installation of my kit (mini celebrationdance1)!
The last thing left to do is mount the CDI. But it seems the spark plug wire is too short to mount the box onto the lower bar, so I was wondering if anything would be affected if I were to mount it to the top crossbar, underneath the fuel tank.

Thank you,
Tony
Congrats! Mounting the CDI there should not be a problem..You can also replace the CDI (spark plug wire) to a 7mm wire,available at many auto stores etc. This way you can cut the length you need and mount it wherever you'd like ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congrats! Mounting the CDI there should not be a problem..You can also replace the CDI (spark plug wire) to a 7mm wire,available at many auto stores etc. This way you can cut the length you need and mount it wherever you'd like ;)
Good advice and if you need to lengthen the blue and black wires from the engine to the CDI there is no problem with splicing in longer wires. The best method is to solder those connections and cover them with heat shrink tubing.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm all about hiding that ugly plastic box. it just wrecks the lines of an otherwise clean build.

mine's under my motor, and it busted off when my chain broke. i used a silicon-type product called "Seal-All" to glue it back onto my frame, then wrapped one ziptie around it. it's stuck on there now. i could probably remove the ziptie, but i just don't care, because you can't see it anyway.

Attachments

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
i just went and bought longer bolts with nuts that have star locks, glued rubber to the back of the cdi, and mount, heat shrinked, the middle of the bolts so they don't scratch the frame, works great