Magic Pie on a cruiser bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Interested in what you guys think about what it might take to get a Magic Pie hub motor to fit in this frame? Its a Felt "Taxi" steel frame. I know its never gonna go with a 7 or 8 speed cassette but maybe a fixe or a three speed like on bikenut's Sondors. Whats in it now is a S/A 3 speed with coaster. ( BN The Sondors sold :-|| )

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have a rear Pie2 I believe it is. It came with a 6speed freewheel. I think all of their rears are for multi speed spacing? Seems a bit of a frame stretch and that would be it. I'm not up on the latest Golden products. Maybe they have cruiser spacing too.

I set it up with a single speed freewheel and a large front sprocket(52t as I remember) so I could assist at higher cruise speeds. Worked well.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
CB2 What kind of bike did you put the MP2 on? Golden Motors does not do anything but 135mm dropout spacing. But Sounds like you did what I'm thinking of> Pic's ??

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
It was on an old Diamondback full suspension MTB. The frame had the proper spacing. It has been robbed for parts over the last year. The Pie is on the shelf. I just checked it and the axle is locked in to its offset. I use MTB wheels in cruisers by removing the spacers and centering the axle. Not gonna happen with the Pie. I don't think a frame stretch is a big deal, something like .5" on each side. Especially on a steel frame.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Is that stretch to allow the multi speed ( 6 or 7 ) cassette or are you running it as a fixe and still have to stretch it? I have seen and once ridden a new felt frame with a Chrystalyte motor as a fixe and it was fantastic! I might have just answered my own question. The CL motors seem to be wider than the Pie's

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Its the axle that it must be stretched for. It has machined shoulders holding the 135mm dimension. The hub will accept what ever freewheel(up to 7spd) you want. No getting around the axle(at least not easily).

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
CRAP. Why they gotta make things so difficult. Guess they want no buisness from the cruiser crowd. I wanted a Pie because of the internal controler. Nice clean application.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have had several bikes with front hubs in the 1k watt range. Didnt have any problems. Throttle application is fairly linear so take offs are easy and there are no surges. I ride sandy conditions a lot also. I'm sure with aggressive riding there could be some issues, but under normal riding I noticed little if any difference between front/rear drive.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks guys for the responses! I really don't want a front drive. They just look wrong to me. I have encouraging news though. I went ahead and bought the bike!!! An inacurate dial caliper measurement of the dropout spacing while the wheel is still on is ~ 128-130mm SO not alot of streching will be required. Yes Kevy TWO torque arms as the only brakes on the back of the bike will be regen. I have a S/A 90mm front drum on the way already, Micheline HD 19" motorcycle tubes ( 4mm thick!!! ) and some 2XL Mr Tuffy tire liners ( no flats for me ) WEEEee dance1 This is gonna be FUN! Pics once I have polished and wax'd it!!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Your not going to make any money at those rates!

I didn't care for the regen braking on the MP2. Maybe I didn't set it up right. Was a pulse type application the intensified before stop. Not good on loose surfaces.

I assume you are running the large MP5? Going to lace it yourself?