stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Hello,
Reading other posts, I found this kit.
http://www.chainganglowrider.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HLC61-KIT-CGL

It looks good, but it seems to be lacking, or I have no Idea, how the disc
mounts to the hub. I can see how the brake caliper gets screwed into the
hub bolt and nut, and how the band holds it.

Ok hit this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISC-BRAKE-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a280f4051&vxp=mtr

Now here there is at least a aluminum ring similar to how you mount the
rear chain gear.

On the first kit, how do they attach it to the hub spindle? I see no clamp
ring in the kit.

Anyone put one of these on a Schwinn Recent Chinese production Cruiser?

I have so much stop and go driving around here, one of these is a necessity!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Chain gang is in Canada shipping is a killer. Give Norm a shout at VMB he is the guy who can help you get your front brakes set up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The brakes in your first link will require a hub that has a disc brake rotor mount. They are typically a six hole flange on one side of the hub outboard of the spokes.

The second link shows a hub adapter but I have no idea how it is supposed to mount. That aluminum hub that the rotor is attached to could not be installed on a non-disc brake hub; there's no way to get it on. It would need to be a 2 or 3 piece unit that could be clamped around the hub. Maybe the seller could tell you how it works but from the picture I don't understand it.

If you are a welder you can fabricate caliper mounts to your fork. I have seen a clamp on installation but have never tried one. You'll still need a disc brake hub to mount the rotor.

Good luck.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The second one is for a freewheel thread, use a rear wheel for front. Or just get a front drum brake wheel. Need one pm me

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The second one is for a freewheel thread, use a rear wheel for front. Or just get a front drum brake wheel. Need one pm me
Chain,
How does that work? Do you add it to the threads or is there a special sprocket that goes with it? I'd need to see it installed to understand how it attaches to the hub. If as you suggested you use a rear hub on the front, that makes sense but how would you use it on the rear wheel? What am I missing?

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
The hub with the adapter is made for the hubs they manufacture, with a threaded hub.

They call them flip flop wheels. I found the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9KwS3Uyh9g

So hmmmmmm..... someone needs to make a ring like the rear wheel drive gear that
you squeeze on with the screws and padded tire inserts.

Or spring for a new hub...

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

The two kits in the links you listed look as though the wheel hub itself needs to have the 6 disc brake mounting holes for the rotor to attach to...beyond that the caliper mounting is fairly straight forward through the parts provided in the respective kits.

Assuming your cruiser bike has a standard Shimano rear coaster brake, it IS possible to mount a rear disc brake system to it AND mount a rear engine driven sprocket to it ALL while retaining the factory coaster brake!.....

The rear engine drive sprocket and disc brake set up (in addition to keeping the coaster brake as a back up and bonus!) would require you to purchase a Manic Mechanic or Pirate Cyles type clamp on sprocket adapter...

To that you would add a Sombrero adapter (like a Top Hat only bigger to bolt onto the aforementioned adapters)....

To that you would then add a "Sombrero Sprocket".....This not only provides the sprocket for the engine to drive off of but ALSO a disc brake mount for you to mount your disc brake rotor to...

The balance of the aforementioned kits you linked to would then be used to mount the caliper to your bike....Mount may require "tweaking" depending on sprocket / rotor clearances on your particular bike set up.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

PS - I have seen a person convert a front non disc brake hub to accept a disc brake rotor by using a Top Hat Sprocket Adapter and mounting the rotor to it (using +Gasp+ the factory rag joint ! ) .....I would not recommend mounting a rotor to a non disc brake hub in this manner since adding the rubber mounting would add all the problems that the Top Hat was designed to solve ! (i.e. precision hard mounting and evenly distributing loads to all the spokes)...Anyways, it was an interesting non traditional use of a product.

Good luck on your build

Last edited:

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
I don't understand the rag joint reference.

I cant seem to find any pictures of said installation.
At this pint it seems to be easier to buy a Sturmey Archer Drum hub and lace it into my
existing wheel.

I don't understand rag joint, so on the front hub you would do like what we said earlier, use old tire sidewalls to make a similar squished setup like the rear gear?
Or did they just use the six bolt adapter plate on inside and bolt the Top Hat Adapter on the outside. I understand the disc going onto that. It's the inner part and how to clamp it that is galling me lol!

I don't know it the holes align to the very small x hole very close to the hub, or if the holes align to beyond that close x crossing.

Anyone have more balls than brains and have seen that type of mounting? Please post a picture. From what I've read, you are messing with spoke failure!! So I like the
Sturmy Archer drum better at this point. But on flipside, I am stopping the same or lesser amount of torque that the engine is putting out, and the rear hub hasn't failed...

Also a center hub with the 6 bolts type flange would work with the one disc brake kit I mentioned. So now for me its price point, what is cheaper lol!!!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I've got this wheel sitting, it has about 100 miles on it, it is a husky anodized black with 12 ga from Holmes hobbies and a Sturmey 70 mm, you can see the brake arm has been cut for mounting to a stud on forks, this is a replaceable part, also have a matching rear with a Shimano ( not knockoff) coaster hub.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi,

While I don't necessarily recommend using a Top Hat to "make" a disc drake hub up front here is how it would be done....

First, take a Top Hat Sprocket Adapter and mount the disc rotor to the top of the Top Hat....Without a disc brake hub to screw into you will need to use the appropriate sized nuts and bolts to secure the disc rotor to the "top" of the Top Hat Sprocket Adapter.

Second, using an extra set of sprocket mounting hardware from the typical 2 stroke engine kit....i.e. the notorious "rag mount" kit (they can be bought separately for about $6 or $7 plus shipping), take the Top Hat assembly and place one set of rubber "cushions" under the "brim" pf the Top Hat.

Now, Place the entire assembly on the left side of the front wheel hub (assuming you are standing behind the wheel) and allow the rubber to touch the spokes on the "outside" of the wheel.

Next , take the other set of rubber cushions and place them on the "inside" of the spokes on the left side....the spokes should now be "sandwiched" by rubber cushions.

Finally, take the circular metal pieces, place them on the right side of the inside rubber cushion and nut and bolt everything together....tweaking and doing everything possible to make for a semi wobble free install...

In summary (from left to right assuming the wheel is in front of you) this is what you should have :

disc rotor, Top Hat Sprocket Adapter, rubber cushion, spokes, rubber cushion, metal moon.....line up all the 9 holes and bolt the assembly together.

This can make a disc brake wheel out of most any front wheel BUT the fact that a "rag joint" (rubber mount) means that the install will almost always have some run out to it and 1/2 the spokes will stressed more than others....This would be an unconventional use of a Top Hat but I have seen it done.

Hope this is more clear for you.

Andrew

PS - Another way of thinking of this install would be to pretend that the Top Hat was a sprocket and you were mounting it as one would normally mount a sprocket on a motorized bike kit....just don't forget to bolt the rotor on FIRST to the Top Hat before mounting the Top Hat ASSEMBLY.

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Oh ok, I did not realize the mounting holes were the same size as the Rubber Clamp type for the rear main drive.

Since I bought a new 32 tooth hub, I have a extra Rubber Rag joint setup already.
Hmmm That would save me from buying a hub and relacing a hub costs. i have orange
rims so I don't want to get a chrome rim.

Well, how long do you think the spokes will survive for? I do street riding, but there are
a lot of stupid storm drain bumps. Like lil speed bumps. Two rain gutters at street ends, and lil hump in middle. I'm not going to jump curbs and beat on the bike. Tho I ran the stop sign and hit that storm drain intersection and i did catch some air!!

Crap lightning!! gotta go!

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Well, how long do you think the spokes will survive for? I do street riding, but there are a lot of stupid storm drain bumps. Like lil speed bumps. Two rain gutters at street ends, and lil hump in middle. I'm not going to jump curbs and beat on the bike. Tho I ran the stop sign and hit that storm drain intersection and i did catch some air!!

Crap lightning!! gotta go!
HI,

I would guess that the spokes should last as long as they do on the rear of a driven sprocket ? ..... I don't have a good guess as to how much stress the spokes gets from a hard acceleration using engine (or electric motor for that matter) VS braking force.

The customer that mentioned they had done the Top Hat Disc Brake conversion did not follow up with pics or long term test results....I would write them to see how things were going and if he was still using the system but unfortunately I forgot who it was that did it....BUT it sounds like We may have a new test subject? ;-)

Andrew

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Test subject!!laff

eee gads!! I am already test subject for Opti-2 oil, and running
my chain without a tensioner. And damn that chain was, WAS, tight.
Now its a bit looser!!

So hmm. Pricewise. 29 plus shipping for canadian kit and hmm
haven't best priced a Top Hat adapter yet. Saw it for 37 sans shipping.

But anyways the savings comes with not having to strip and relace the wheel.
That is the one thing I cannot do!! I can set the laces up, but forget about tuning it true!!!

The drum hub is about 60 buck.

Ha maybe i get disc brake after all!!

Is it ok to use just use the front brake to stop?? Kinda hard to juggle clutch and
brake lever. I do do that now, but would switch front brake lever to other side and have rear brake on left then. Guess use it as emergency brake lol!

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
I have a stupid question. Can I put a Sturmey Archer Elite ST Disc REAR Brake hub on the wheel on the FRONT fork??? Id does not have the 3 speeds in it lol! . It has the screw on for the gear there(on the rear hub), but that's all. I measured and they are both around 3 1/4, although thanks to the rear gears I am sort of guesstimating.

Or for that matter, could I put a rear coaster hub on lol!!! I just remembered that the bike shop nearby has tons of used stuff!!!

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
That looks cool!! But what the **** am I looking at? Is that a coaster brake being actuated by a chain and sprocket?? So the brake would be a twist brake? Or the lever
would engage it once you tightened up the slack.

Thanks for all the input!!

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Ok somehow I found a Sturmey archer catalog from 1999 and a st rear hub is 135mm on the ends of locknuts. The fronts measure 100mm. I just measured my front fork and its
100mm so I'm SOL on a ebay auction for rear.

Guess I'll go crawl the local bike jockey's store. They are always slapping together
bikes like CHUNK 666. If it's still there check out chunk 666!!!!

http://dclxvi.org/chunk/operations/index.html

http://chunk666lab.blogspot.com/

Last edited: