Gas tank building help

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Hi Guys, I'm at the point where I have my gas tank 3/4 done. I not sure how the mounting works on these tanks. It looks like your using conduit clamps over the frame tube but what goes between the tank and the frame tube? Should I weld nuts on the outside of the tank or use acorn nuts on the inside? What should I use for a tank sealer and where do I get it? I tried looking through the site but there is such an overwhelming amount of information that I get hopelessly lost plus I'm not great navigating.

I have to give you guys credit, I thought this was going to be a quick week long project but this is challenging! The workmanship and ingenuity some of you show in your builds is incredible and it raised the bar on my original plans. I hope these bikes are as fun to ride as they are to look at. Brian

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Let's see what your building. I use acorn nuts welded inside the tank. You can hang it from the top or mount it on the bottom, but first things first, weld the mount threads inside the tank before the sides, bottom or roof go on.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I don't think that I've had enough posts to put up a pictures yet, I'll try.I have the bottom and sides together already but I have plenty of room to work still. I wanted to have the sides before I went any further because I'm on version #4 and didn't want a #5. What do you mean by "welding in the mount threads"? welding in the acorn nuts?

I bought a pair of rough old Schwinn's one men's and one woman's that were supposed to be '47's but I can't find solid info of what they are. I think the woman's was a DX, the men's has a straight middle bar and two tone green paint like a panther but it has "heart" skip tooth like a DX and neither had fender lights or tanks. I cut up the woman's bike to make the board racer and I'm not sure what to do with the men's yet.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Look around and you will find lots of panther tanks. There are even posts of people doing exactly what your doing right now. Search "panther" and "in-frame tanks".

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I did a search and there are no specifics. The bike I'm doing isn't a panther anyways and I couldn't post any pictures. This just isn't going well for me lol. If I hang the tank from the top I'd have to weld my acorn nut's from the top anyways but do I have to do anything to keep the tank from touching the frame? Won't the sheet metal squish if I mount it without some sort of cradle?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't think that I've had enough posts to put up a pictures yet, I'll try.I have the bottom and sides together already but I have plenty of room to work still. I wanted to have the sides before I went any further because I'm on version #4 and didn't want a #5. What do you mean by "welding in the mount threads"? welding in the acorn nuts?

I bought a pair of rough old Schwinn's one men's and one woman's that were supposed to be '47's but I can't find solid info of what they are. I think the woman's was a DX, the men's has a straight middle bar and two tone green paint like a panther but it has "heart" skip tooth like a DX and neither had fender lights or tanks. I cut up the woman's bike to make the board racer and I'm not sure what to do with the men's yet.
A serial number search will tell you month and year of production. Most men's DX bikes had a curved bar but there were some with the straight bar, too. The straight bar frame was also used on the Hornet, Panther and Motorbike. The graphics and paint would point toward what it was called, but once the paint is stripped, call it what you want.
SB

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Thanks for all the great leads that's exactly what I needed. I did some mocking up and it seems obvious now. This is a total 180 from my last hobby and this is like moving to a new country for me. All new people and a very different forum and unfamiliar machines. Thank you all for the hospitality and sound info. I look forward to making some new friends and having some cheap fun.
To Venice motor bikes the serial #'s are as follow G147898 for the boy's and G475383 for the girls bike I'm converting. I found a few sites for the #'s but they conflicted each other. One site listed the boys date as 1-23-50 and the girls as 3-1-50. I can't post any pictures because I don't know how to re-size them to fit the site.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
There's a panther on eBay item # 290415184812 that looks like my bike but mine is more striped down. There's no tanks, fender light or rack but I have chrome wheels and fenders and two tone green paint if that means anything.My bike is in similar condition as well

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Ruppster... I forgot to ask, Where are the #'s stamped on the frame?? (very important!)

If they're both stamped under the crank housing... then the boys bike was made on 6/9/1950 & the girls bike on 11/21/1950.

If they're stamped on the rear dropout, tell me & I'll recheck for you!

Last edited:

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I can't load pictures on the forum, I don't know how to re-size them with out photo shop. It's pretty ugly in the garage right now anyways so the back drop is a bit frightening.

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
I can't load pictures on the forum, I don't know how to re-size them with out photo shop. It's pretty ugly in the garage right now anyways so the back drop is a bit frightening.
its prolly safe to say that most builders (of any sort ) including myself wont judge a "well" stocked garage but at the very least "understand" it so dont worry about that, as far as resizing your pics any photo program should have a resize, or save for web in the menus somewhere. or just try to take pix in the smallest format possible.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yup, if you have any kind of garage, shed or otherwise covered place to work you've got some of us beat. While we're into appreciating each others efforts here there's little of the judgment business. Some here are mechanical geniuses and 2 stroke wizards. And then there's the rest of us with few tools and lots of interest. You've come to the right place for sure!
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I mebbe have a build goin' in my bedroom.... o.o

whut :D

Just hang a blanket or somethin' as a backdrop - even if yer not shamed by yer dirty laundry (nufin' ta see here), it's really handy as it helps the details of yer build stand out.