This is my Stealth Bomber

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I dumped my bike the other day. If you could have seen it you'd have laughed your ass off. I wasn't laughing though. Nobody got hurt, but my pride was pretty bruised. Luckily there weren't any hot babes around to see it.

Did I mention my bike has a hair trigger throttle, and 4500w? What happened was, I was riding along minding my own business. Sound familiar so far? Anyway, a lady in a SUV rides up next to me and yells that I dropped my sunglasses back there on the road. So ok, I turned around and went back to get them. I rode up next to them, but when I tried to reach down and pick them up I couldn't quite reach them. I should have gotten completely off the bike, and put it on the stand, but for some reason I was acting like I was in a hurry, which I wasn't. It was kind of cool out that day, so I was wearing gloves. I dismounted on the left, but reached across my bike, holding the throttle with my right hand, as I reached down to pick the sunglasses up. As I bent down, without realizing it, my hand was twisting the throttle. My bike instantly took off without me. I held on with a death grip, as it started riding away, and I hopped awkwardly around the back of the bike to the other side, but the bike started leaning to the left and the wheels rode under my feet. I quickly lost it, and my bike fell on it's left side, and then I unceremoniously fell on top of it.

There wasn't much damage luckily, but the handle bars were tweaked, and the left pedal was scratched. The worst damage was the left pedal crank arm was slightly bent. Fortunately a few months ago someone had a sale on Bomber crank arms on eBay, and I bought a set just for such an occasion. The scratch on the pedal was so slight I was able to repair it with touch up paint. It's all back to normal now. Lesson learned.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
glad all is ok, I remember when I dumped my mountain bike, 2 beautiful girls walking down the street so I decided to show them a wheelie, I had just got clipless pedals and I went right over backwards and could not get out of the pedals. girls looked at me and I said "where you impressed" my wife saw all this out the window and when I walked in the door she was laughing like a hyena and had to tell me I was an idiot. I wasn't hurt but my pride sure was

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
glad all is ok, I remember when I dumped my mountain bike, 2 beautiful girls walking down the street so I decided to show them a wheelie, I had just got clipless pedals and I went right over backwards and could not get out of the pedals. girls looked at me and I said "where you impressed" my wife saw all this out the window and when I walked in the door she was laughing like a hyena and had to tell me I was an idiot. I wasn't hurt but my pride sure was

LOL Paul, the first thing I did was look around to see if anyone saw what happened. It would have been hard to convince anyone I meant to do that.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
LOL I have done the same thing on my electric bike! I also have the " hair trigger twist throttle and had on gloves. I was trying to unlock the front door and hold my bike and it was raining and some how my bike tried to run up the wall without me LOL

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
LOL I have done the same thing on my electric bike! I also have the " hair trigger twist throttle and had on gloves. I was trying to unlock the front door and hold my bike and it was raining and some how my bike tried to run up the wall without me LOL
Yeah, I've learned my lesson for sure. I was already very wary of it, but I let my guard down. From now on I'll get completely off the thing.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Should have seen me playing with the clutch on the Boxxer lol. It almost got away from me twice.

Then there was the full sus bike I made. Already had a small fortune in it. It was idling at the door at my work. Bike dicided to fall over on the wall. Wouldn't you know it! Dang throttle went full blast. Was well:)

Got lucky. Just lost the rear wheel chain on it. This thing had three chains on it. Pretty sure those were not meant to run sidways by nowlaff

Gosh we put alot of work in our rides!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I really don't like dropping my bikes, but I guess it's better than wrecking into something at speed. I'd rather fix my bike than my body.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
You guys should have bought one while they were cheap. Now most shops have raised the price a grand, and nobody offers free shipping now.

That's why I tell my wife, I had to buy a Bomber when I did to save us money.
Quick question, where'd you get the replacement bars? I think Id like a bit of a more upright position on my Bomber. Or do you think a curved seat post would make for a more comfortable ride?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Quick question, where'd you get the replacement bars? I think Id like a bit of a more upright position on my Bomber. Or do you think a curved seat post would make for a more comfortable ride?
They're Atomic Lab Pimplite with 3" rise.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=51573&category=484

I ride with my seat in the lowest position possible. I pedal, but don't care about pedaling hard on any of my motor bicycles. Be mindful that a common problem with bombers is breaking the seat subframe off the main frame. I haven't had any problems though dragging my big rumpus around for 5500 miles so far.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
They're Atomic Lab Pimplite with 3" rise.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=51573&category=484

I ride with my seat in the lowest position possible. I pedal, but don't care about pedaling hard on any of my motor bicycles. Be mindful that a common problem with bombers is breaking the seat subframe off the main frame. I haven't had any problems though dragging my big rumpus around for 5500 miles so far.
Really? The seat subframe huh? Thanks for the heads up. I hate to get rid of such a beautifully crafted and light set of bars but I feel like the are a little low for the amount of rake it has.

Did you move the shocks up in the clamps so you'd have tighter turn in?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How often due you lube the hub motor? Do you use the CRC stuf or something else?
The motor doesn't really need maintenance. There's no moving parts except the 2 wheel bearings, which are permanent lubed. There are 2 breathing holes in the motor side plate. It you ride in a wet environment you're supposed to spray something like WD 40 in there once in a while to prevent oxidation.

I usually shoot some grease in the V Boxx pedal transmission a couple times a year.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is a 3 year update. Now have 8900 miles. Total mechanical failures, not caused by me, to date are still 1, $16 swing arm bearing that failed at about 2000 miles. I sourced a new set of them locally.

About a year ago I slammed a curb at night that put a slight ding in my rear rim. As soon as possible after that I laced new 65mm double wall rims replacing the stock 30mm rims. That gave my Hook Worms a little wider footprint, and had a noticeable positive effect on handling.

My 18ah battery is still holding up well although it's capacity is now slightly reduced. I noticed this summer it was down to about 17 1/2 ah. I still get above 50 mph though.

In the last week I replaced my rear tire for about the 5th or 6th time. I've lost count actually. I usually don't run them down too thin, because I hate flats. This time I replaced both of my rotors for the second time, and I bled both calipers for the first time ever. This bike is pretty hard on rotors, because some fool is always doing panic stops from 50 on it.

In these 3 years of ownership I've now had the pleasure of riding with a number of other eBikes. Every other bike I ridden with, if they didn't have respect for this bike before the ride, afterwards they did.

I've also gotten to race a few gas bikes. Honda Ruckus's are especially fun after a couple of them beat my modified Tomos moped. This bike utterly destroys them off the line, and has about a 10 mph advantage on the top end. It's not even close to fair. I've raced one 125cc Grom to date. It didn't do very well off the line, but can hang on the top end if I wait long enough for it to catch up. The fastest eBike I've raced besides my sons stealth, was a Optibike M5 which is a mid drive running power through a derailleur. It looked like it had game for the first 3 feet off the line, but then he had to shift, and it got ugly fast after that.

So after 3 years of riding, and comparing the Bomber every other bike I've ever owned, which is many, my final assessment is this is the greatest bike I've ever owned. Whoever designed this bike really knew what he was doing.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Yep they are great bikes to be sure. Probably the only thing I own where if everything burned right now, I'd buy a new one tomorrow. I stayed with the stock rims and run the crazy bobs tires to preserve top speed and weight. I also had Allex from ES build me a 21Ah battery out of Samsung 30Q cells. The new battery weighs much less, is half the size and provides even more "pop" off the line and just a little more too end. I still have the original
2013 battery with no noticeable degradation. I should probably find something to power with that battery.

Only other addition is the Stealth headlight, I find this to be the most aesthetically pleasing light option.

I have had zero mechanical failures other than my dad grabbing the throttle of the bike (on accident) causing a spectacular wheelie resulting in a bent peddle crank. Stealth was very prompt with the replacement crank.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yep they are great bikes to be sure. Probably the only thing I own where if everything burned right now, I'd buy a new one tomorrow. I stayed with the stock rims and run the crazy bobs tires to preserve top speed and weight. I also had Allex from ES build me a 21Ah battery out of Samsung 30Q cells. The new battery weighs much less, is half the size and provides even more "pop" off the line and just a little more too end. I still have the original
2013 battery with no noticeable degradation. I should probably find something to power with that battery.

Only other addition is the Stealth headlight, I find this to be the most aesthetically pleasing light option.

I have had zero mechanical failures other than my dad grabbing the throttle of the bike (on accident) causing a spectacular wheelie resulting in a bent peddle crank. Stealth was very prompt with the replacement crank.
That's great to know about the battery cory. I might let Alex make me one too. I've talked to him about it before. My son runs Crazy Bobs on his B52. I put them on it for him. I don't think they'll last very long the way he rides. You should try some Hook Worms one of these days. I bet you'd like them.