Honda GX35 Troubles

GoldenMotor.com

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
So I left for work the other morning on my BMP/GX35 FD bike. (This is year 3 and it's been running like a champ all along with normal maintenance and winterization.) I get a short distance from my house and the engine suddenly craps out. Starts back up, but won't accelerate. It idles roughly and when I increase the throttle, it stalls out. Changing the spark plug (had a spare) had no effect.

I searched online for clues, figuring it's a fuel-system problem, maybe pointing to the carb. Honda has a PDF of a chart showing the three most likely trouble areas in the GX35 carb (for my exact symptoms), two of which are rubber diaphragms that can rupture.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with this motor?
Has anyone rebuilt the carb?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
do not have specific advise about your problem.

Here's what I do know.

I spoke directly with a weed abatement contractor who had a crew of amigos doing city fire marshall work. I asked him about the GX35's his crew mangled during the years work.

His response was, "Nothing goes wrong with 'em until the piston slap gets so bad they won't hardly run. At that point they are not worth fixing."

That's the best information I have about the little Honda's.

But yes, you should give a try cleaning out the carb and looking for a ruptured membrane or bulb.

Best
rc

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
Just to finish the story, I got my GX35 back from the shop and they found that the ignition coil was faulty. $28.00 part plus their labor. Hopefully that's it for a while.

Fonzz

Oct 8, 2011
Cali
Good to hear you got it fixed cheap. Do you know how many miles you put on your GX35 in those three years?

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
Hmmm - I'll have to do a little figuring.
My speedometer might have that info stored for me.
I'll check on that tonight after work.

ANSWER: 683 miles on the odometer, mainly from commuting to work 7-8 miles R/T.

Last edited: