Q-matic question....probably needs fixing

GoldenMotor.com

Professor_Fate

May 11, 2011
H.B./O.C. Calif
I have a question for Q-matic owners or dealers.

How much should the clutch/10T gear be able to slide on the shaft? If I remember there was just a little bit of play.
I am doing a routine cleaning/maintenance and noticed the clutch/10T gear slides completley to the other side (none drive side) of the shaft. It results in a misaligned chain and is probably the cause of my increased noise and vibration.
Is there a lock ring on that shaft to prevent this or is there a set screw that might have become loose?
I'm pretty sure it is not right. Going to pull her apart and see.

I will probably be in need of parts which I hope I can get at McMaster-Carr.
Or thru one of the q-matic dealers here.

Mark in H.B.

Professor_Fate

May 11, 2011
H.B./O.C. Calif
Does the clutch need to be seated up against pulley? Or can I move it inboard a little on the shaft to achieve better chain alignment? It seems that the clutch would be seated up against the pulley then lock down the set screws. But I want better chain alignment. I cannot move the rear sprocket adapted anymore outboard. If I get a spacer between the pulley and clutch for them to have a solid surface against each other would that work?

Mark in H.B.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Does the clutch need to be seated up against pulley? Or can I move it inboard a little on the shaft to achieve better chain alignment? It seems that the clutch would be seated up against the pulley then lock down the set screws. But I want better chain alignment. I cannot move the rear sprocket adapted anymore outboard. If I get a spacer between the pulley and clutch for them to have a solid surface against each other would that work?

Mark in H.B.
Hey Mark......align your chain, and then what I do is put spacers in between the clutch, cogs and bearings so things can't move around. It's that simple.

Professor_Fate

May 11, 2011
H.B./O.C. Calif
ok, thats what I was thinking......when I built this a few years back I did not know I could move the clutch for better chain alignment. Had I know it at the time, my makeshift spring tensioner would have been a lot easier to get aligned. thanks Scotto

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]