Help, Installing CDI

GoldenMotor.com

Matt117

Feb 12, 2016
Australia
Hi guys, i have recently purchased a better CDI and i have tried installing it but it did not work. I have attached a photo, to show the inside of where my electrics are, help would greatly appreciated. 12736130_1199862803374787_82141310_n.jpg

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Matt, welcome to the forum.

Well that's a new one on me. Looks pretty fancy. I've never seen one like that. Can you tell us what it is and where you got it?

Sorry I'm no help but some experts may be able to assist you.

Matt117

Feb 12, 2016
Australia
That Cdi(or what appears to be one) was already in my motor. I purchased a new cdi of the internet and it would not work. I purchased my motor from ZBOX.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
What upgraded CDI did you buy?

The one you have is an integral unit. I've seen them before, never really messed with one though.

The concept is still the same though. The integral one just has the magneto built in to the CDI. If you get an external CDI, you must get a magneto pickup.

This goes inside the cover where your picture is showing:
http://www.gasbike.net/sparker-wire-magneto.html

This bolts somewhere on the frame:
http://www.gasbike.net/cdi-coil-48-prd1.html

The wiring is stupid easy. Black to black, blue to blue. There's a ring terminal on the pickup that connects to ground (one of the mounting bolts) The white wire is unused. You can wire the kill switch to both wires. When you push the button, it closes the switch and shorts the pickup out, killing the engine.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
had one of those super rat CDI units here, but gave that motor away last week (wish now that I'd made a wiring diagram)

I can't recall color of the wire that gets grounded by the kill switch - google for 'super rat' or maybe new grubee has same CDI.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hi guys, i have recently purchased a better CDI and i have tried installing it but it did not work. I have attached a photo, to show the inside of where my electrics are, help would greatly appreciated. View attachment 81647
You have a 'Super Rat' motor!!

They use a totally different ignition system from all the other engines out there!!
Good luck finding a ignition (or any other parts for it for that matter)! :(