BonusParts' Huffy Cruiser Build

GoldenMotor.com

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Hey all! Im starting this thread at the 70% completion mark, but better late than never right?

Its a late model Huffy Nel Lusso cruiser w/ coaster brake.

I have a 66cc BGF wide port motor (****ty 6mm studs) waiting to be fired up. Im using the original 26x2.35 cream colored tires and butterscotch wheels. I have a manic mechanic sprocket adapter mated to a 40t sprocket. I am presently hung up until I either buy a bench vise or take the coaster arm to work. It interferes with the sprocket adapter bolts and without being able to move the adapter farther out my chain hits the tire.

That being said, I've also engineered a long tube exhaust that runs along underneath and exits to the left of the rear wheel.

I'll be posting photos shortly! and hopefully before fall sets in i'll have it started!

Stay tuned.

matt:-||

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I have a Cranbrook. Other than the paint job I think they're the same bike. And it's been a stouter bike than I'd imagined it was.

But you'll want to watch out for the rear hub. There are folks here who feel that they're simply not up to this task. And I must, reluctantly, agree. I've had to tear mine down and rebuild four or five times now. I'm running out of spare parts, too.

I have a Wheel Master with Shimano hub on order. Once it arrives I'll rebuild the stock Huffy wheel with a better hub.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. The Huffy has been a fine bike. But you'll likely need this heads up. Watch it pretty closely.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Oh, wait.......I forgot to address the issue that I was actually going to post about. Chain clearance.

You can buy a bit more space by changing out the axle nut that fastens against the left side bearing cone. Some are thicker than others.

I used one that's nearly a half inch thick. It got me enough space that chain clearance is a pretty easy matter now.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Appreciate the input, I haven't considered a wider axle nut but thats a swell idea. Otherwise its pretty much there I just havent felt like finding a solution haha.

The mountain bike has kept me entertained as its always acting retarded as of late.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
It appears that I may be returning this bike to stock and scrapping the build and just use the parts on another frame that has regular rim brakes. Who knows.

I can assure you that i need to wholeheartedly revise my longtube exhaust. not even remotely enough backpressure