Building a Trike Using a Pocket Bike wheel to Push

GoldenMotor.com

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Bought a fixed gear trike conversion rear (cheap) and attached it to a low rider frame. The trike will have no pedals, just foot rests.

Can I install a pull start 2 stroke or am I restricted to a 4 stroke?

Thanks.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Two MAJOR things.

First - without pedals, you're not a motorized bike, you're a motorcycle. Check local laws.

Second - using a push on a trike without pedals not only makes it no longer a motorized bike, but you have 4 wheels so now you're a motor vehicle. Again, check local laws.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
DucTapedGoat,

I am well aware of this distinction. I plan on using it off-road and on the ranch.

What I am trying to find out can I use either 2 stroke or 4 stroke for this application. The 2 stroke w/pull start would allow me to utilize the existing fix drive on the rear axle (if that is possible). If not I would use the pocket bike push trailer using a four stroke. So, the real question is can I use a a 2 stroke w/pull start on the fix drive sprocket on the rear axle?

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
DuctTapedGoat,

Trike or not; I am thinking a fixed drive sprocket will work to accomodate a 2 stroke engine w/pull start.

Thanks for the advice.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Bandito,

A go-ped is an excellent alternative for a pusher.

However, I already have modified the pocket bike frame to accomodate a 4 stroke set up (if that's the way to go).

If I go the 2 stroke w/pull start route, the pusher would no longer be required.

My reason for posting this thread was to see if using a fixed gear drive on the trike rear would work with a 2 stroke w/pull start; from what I can gather that is the case.

However, since I already have a 4 stroke Greyhound laying around and have modified the pocket bike frame to use as a pusher; I am going to try this out first. If that doesn't workout, I will definitely use the 2 stroke w/pull start and mount it over rear axle and hook up the chain to the direct drive. Due to ground clearance issues and the fact that drive sprocket is fixed, I won't be using pedals.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Bought a fixed gear trike conversion rear (cheap) and attached it to a low rider frame. The trike will have no pedals, just foot rests.

Can I install a pull start 2 stroke or am I restricted to a 4 stroke?

Thanks.
I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to use either? Why do you think you could only use a 4-stroke?

I think that motorcycles on BLM land need to have approved spark-arrestor mufflers (and you could put that on either, just weld it onto the end of whatever muffler there is already) but other than that I can't think of any other restrictions.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
what motor are we talking about a 66cc 2 stroke or a pocket bike 2 stroke?
without a gear reduction in the motor it would be really hard to turn a 26 inch wheel with a fixed sprocket. and i think a pusher offroad wouldnt work too well. a 66 cc with an internal reduction and a pullstart would work with a fixed sprocket

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Will be using Dax's GTR-50 chain drive version; and the rear wheels are 20".

The reason I was considering four stroke & pusher at all, was because of the alignment issues with the rear fixed sprocket.

Also, a standard 2 stroke would require a pedal assist to jump start. Since I have ground clearance and direct drive issues, pedals won't work.

As far as BLM requirements, not an issue either. I will be using the trike on private property and the ranch only.

Thanks all for your helpful comments and ideas.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Dmb,

Thanks for requesting pics of the build.

Tried previously to download pics to this site without any success. I will try transferring them to PhotoBucket and downloading in the pixel sizing this site requires.

Keep in mind this is a raw mockup version right now. Once I complete the build of the finished trike, I will post pics as well.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Pocket bike parts rock.

Make sure you throw in a nexus tricycle transmission while you are in there!

Mega power can be made with internal hub jackshafts.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I was hoping to leave this alone. If you use the clutch to get you going with a 2 stroke, your clutch will be fried before you even get it rolling.
Maybe if you dont know how to gear down!

I do not peddle, ever! With a nexus trike transmission in the drivetrain, I can climb any hill you can find and still hit 40 on a flat.

Clutch and clutch shoes are fine!

The trike tranny can take whatever you can dish out.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Man You are so right, I'm just a noobie at this. Any day I don't learn something has not been a good day:) Maybe if I try real hard I might know as much about these things as you do some day :) Great build, ride safe. (c)

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
bowljoman,

Your pocketbike/nexus drive train rocks!

Thanks for the heads up about the Nexus Tricycle transmission; already have a jack shaft system that exists on the pocket bike frame (not shown in the pic), if I go the 4 stroke route (engine featured in the Pic).