where can i get it.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay most of you know I am using a wheel on a wheel propulsion system. I bought a rear wheel from a scooter a while back. The thing has a solid rear tire, actually mine came without one but there is no place stick a valve stem through. Also the specs call for a solid tire. Now I got hold of a regular tire which needs a tube but I have no way to use a tube.

I put the tire on with a bit of stiff heater hose inside and it holds up pretty good, but to really make it rigid I need foam, I got directions on how to fill it but no directions on what to use for foam or where to get it. I am tempted to buy a can of that expanding foam I use to insulate the house now and then.
\
Please tell me there is a better idea.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
what size tire is it?

expansion foam WILL NOT WORK.

it'll crush and deform. and you'll have to cut the tire off if you ever want to get it off.

wait... you're using it to drive the wheel and not riding on it? then foam might work...

you could probably drill a hole for the tube if it's a clincher style wheel.

or, try: http://www.carlisletire.com/

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the tire is a 300x4 and yes it is just the drive wheel, not the bike wheel. I am probably going to have to drill more than one hole in the side wall since I have the heater hose in there to give it shape. I think I want the foam outside the hose not inside it. It probably doesn't matter except I know I need to fill the cavity around the outside of the heater hose.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah sorry I bought a 300 4 which was fine I need to fill a different tire. It is a 200 x 50 I think. the tire is metric I think. I think i'm just going to get some foam insulation and see if that won't work. I have no idea when I will ever use that particular drive, but I do want to do it just to see how it works.

I'll let you know what happens. I should pick up the foam this weekend and see how it does.

rustymullet

Jan 22, 2010
Oak Creek, Wi.
Truck tire centers use a foam fill for their otr tires(farm tractor,construction grader), depending on where you live in NC I could suggest a location of one of the centers that do foam fill for Wingfoot Commercial tire, who I work for. rustymullet

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did the fill with insulation expanding foam in a tire I had. It is hard now but man it was a mess to do. I still have that garbage on my hands. If you want to do it drill a quarter inch hole at 3 6 9 12 on the wheel and fill it from each hole, it will run out the others but thats okay fill i there anyway. There will be lots of waste lol. it did get hard and there won't be any real pressure on the wheel so it should work okay. I have the wheel and motor mounted so just a matter of when I get around to testing it,

rustymullet

Jan 22, 2010
Oak Creek, Wi.
If you were to take it to a truck tire center, no drilling holes in tire its just filled through the valve stem w/a pump, no mess they do it, inexpensive. Well for future reference anyway. Good luck w/that. rustymullet

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thanks and if there had been a valve stem I would have used it. the rear wheel of this particular scooter had a solid tire, but I only had a hollow tire. Strange but true. thanks for the advice though I'll keep it in mind.