Hello from northern Michigan - interested in steam

GoldenMotor.com

Dutchman Dick

Apr 24, 2011
Charlevoix, Michigan
Hello, all! I've been interested in mechanical things for quite some time. Motorizing my Huffy Snake Rock or Schwinn Mirada sounds like it might be a fun project. Seriously looking into using a steam engine, and building my own since I know how to operate a lathe and mill (I have my own small milling machine). Like to hear from anyone who is knowledgeable about steam bike conversions...

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Heh, you're the only one I've ever heard of doing this. I did see an Anime movie on youtube called "Steam Boy" but that was a ride-inside-the-wheel mono wheel thing...and a cartoon....and set in the late 1890's...did I tell you I'm making a steam punk gas tank from copper?

Really, most don't know what to think of this, I'm sure, but I think it sounds interesting. Hope we get photo updates ;)

Check out myfordboy on youtube. He casts and machines scale 1 lunger motors, I'm sure some of what he does would apply.

Last edited:

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Hey DD,
I am down in Muskegon...but have an interest in the steam thing also...a Modest machine shop & a backyard foundry....looking foward to seeing what you come up with.