My Old Worksman Trike

GoldenMotor.com

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
This is my first motorized project done in the late 90's. It has a small Briggs washing machine motor with kick start on a Worksman trike. I calculated that I'd need a 14" pulley on the rear axle but could only find a 10" which geared it to high. I would have to to pedal as fast as I could and then engage the belt tensioner and then it would maintain speed pretty well. It is kinda scary to ride around corners because it sits up pretty high. I have since robbed the front wheel with brake for one of my two wheeled projects but installed a brakeless wheel to keep it going.

Attachments

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
The tensioner wheel itself is from my GM minivan serpentine belt. I made the lever and rods, I was planning on making a catch for the lever but never did, you had to hold back on the lever for tension. It rode on the inside of the belt causing no wear, ideally it should have rode on the outside of the belt.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Wow that's cool! Very nice build. I dig the rust too! Does anyone give you a problem about the over 50cc setup?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I love it. Looks like something out of the 50s. I had a Doodle Bug minibike when I was a kid; had the same kick start mechanism on it. I remember that foot pedal.
Maybe it's time to think about a centrifugal clutch?
Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think some washing machines or dryers have bigger pullys,or do a jack shaft?

Thats AWESOME love it. Maybe a notched plate to hold the clutch lever in position?

Last edited: