Midwest Motorized Bicycle Cruise

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I am interested in seeing if there are riders who might be interested in venturing to London Mills, Illinois for a motorized bicycle cruise, show and cookout? Wanting to determine interest and then work with those interested in coming up with a spring or summer date.

2door and myself have already planned to get together this year at some point to do a cruise, but we both figure the more riders...the better. What makes London Mills area appealing to ride is that it has miles and miles of low traffic blacktops, our motorized bicycle laws are not too bad, and at least in my area the police are very unlikely to give much grief as we are even lenient in my area to atv's and other offroad type vehicles making use of the low traffic blacktops and small towns.

London Mills is home to the fall festival that is the Spoon River Scenic drive and we do have some nice scenic sites that could be visited in the spring or summer that would make a nice cruise on a motorized bike.

I would be happy to either host a fish fry or a cookout for those folks who come to participate. We could do a morning meet and greet, have a bike show, do lunch and then take a nice cruise in the afternoon.? Open to any other ideas as well.

Lets see how much interest we can get here and then we will begin working on the fine details.

Feel free to post here or drop me a pm or you can even contact me at with any questions or ideas

Ray Moore
[email protected]
or my cell at three zero nine three three eight two six nine nine

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I live in the area and I'd be interested.

I work on Saturdays. But I can get a Sat off with a bit of notice. Sundays are even better for me. I also have Mon and Tue off. But I don't suppose it'll happen on those days.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
That's excellent! Have not figured out a date yet, but once we see how many interested riders we have we can then try to come up with a date and time that works best for majority. As you said...it would probably work best to be either a Saturday or Sunday. If you know any other riders in the area or even out of the area that may be interested, please let them know. Would really like to put together a nice ride day with as many participants as possible. The more the merrier!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I would be interested! It would really depend on the day though is my problem. I live in Missouri now but visit the small town of nauvoo Illinois every couple weeks and would be able to make it up there! Like I said though it would depend on the date. If there was a pre determined date people would more likely be able to open up schedules. I visit family so a trip up would be nice!

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I run over to Nauvoo a few times a year myself. Little winery there that has some good wine. I also visit there big car show there in the fall.

We will try to get a date hammered out here before too long so folks can better plan.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I run over to Nauvoo a few times a year myself. Little winery there that has some good wine. I also visit there big car show there in the fall.

We will try to get a date hammered out here before too long so folks can better plan.
Haha yep. I go to the same car show every year as well. Probably seen ya a couple times, but never knew! Not too far off and would be a fun time. I could probably make time available as needed, but it would have to be on a weekend.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Yea...I think for most involved it would have to be either a Saturday or a Sunday and out of those two days more then likely a Saturday I would guess may be best.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Yea...I think for most involved it would have to be either a Saturday or a Sunday and out of those two days more then likely a Saturday I would guess may be best.
That would work best for me. If I knew the date ahead of time I might be able to bring along my 16 year old buddy who I build a bike for who lives in Nauvoo as well. Cramming the bikes in a sedan would be another project though ha!

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I am in.

I do the Great River Road all the time and have done the 30 miles North and South of Oquawka on the Great River Road one weekend last summer.

I lived in Galesburg when I was a kid and very familiar with the Spoon River Days in the fall. My dad had a farm in Williamsfield IL.

I have 3 buddies that ride with me all the time.

Robert Brown
19408 Mallingham Way
Bloomington Il 61705

[email protected]

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
I'd like to go to this. I would just need to figure out how to get my bike transported over there.
Keep me informed...
Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm smiling.
This could be a lot of fun and source of some good times and memories.
I was so ready last fall then things sort of went haywire for me and I missed what Ray and I had planned. Maybe it was for the best. If we could get a good group together for this spring or summer I don't believe any of us will regret it. I'm making my plans.

I know the midwest and how unpredictable spring weather can be. Should we be looking at early summer? Just a suggestion.

Tom

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I'd say definitely the transition right before it becomes summer, just because of the humidity that comes with being in the midwest is killing. I already sweat like a pig and humidity just makes me look even worse! Sometime in may wouldn't be a bad idea?

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
That's awesome guys!
We will come up with a date to run by you guys soon. That way if it don't work out for a lot of guys we can try to find a better date that works better. Early Summer or Late Summer/Early Fall is kinda what I had in mind. Want to have time to plan the thing out proper so don't want to make it too early, but probably don't want to be right in the hottest part of summer either. In my mind I am kinda leaning towards first part of September. Should be some real nice riding weather in September or we could maybe beat the heat by doing it sometime in early June?
A benefit of doing it September would give plenty of time to get as many riders as possible to get on board with this and plenty of time to plan out a day that will make the event great!

If enough bikes were to participate I would welcome the public and post notice around the area so the public would have a chance to come look over the bikes and ask questions. Really do everything possible to make it an event worth coming to. The more riders we can plan for...I think the bigger and better this gathering can be.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Sometime in may wouldn't be a bad idea?
My only trouble with May is that from April 15 thru May I work 12 hour days and 7 days a week at the Power Plant. A job I do every year working for a refractory contractor. This is the only time of year I work for another contractor.... the rest of the year I work for myself as a masonry contractor and to some extent set my own hours. So after the end of May I usually only work thru the week and take weekends off unless I am really far behind on a project.
I will also be taking my family to Gulf Shores for a few days during the summer, but probably do this during the summer when its warmer as we will be hitting the beach. So if we wanted to do something early...June would be about the earliest for me. July and August may be sweltering here...so September or possible early October when the fall colors are starting and we have a half million people cruising the Spoon River Drive would probably be the next available months for me.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Looking at the Calendar here are some dates I came up with that would work well for me.
Saturday June 6, 2015
Saturday June 13, 2015
Saturday September 5, 2015
Saturday September 12, 2015
Saturday October 3, 2015 (Spoon River Scenic Drive weekend)

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I am game for any of the latter dates passed June 6 (girlfriends birthday) and I could probably adjust my schedule for any of those dates given the pre-planning.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I am game for any of the latter dates passed June 6 (girlfriends birthday) and I could probably adjust my schedule for any of those dates given the pre-planning.
How about we all shoot for June 13? That should give plenty of time to round up a good group of riders and also give plenty of time to plan out a enjoyable day for those who attend.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Another question I have is how many miles do we want to cruise round trip? We have endless country blacktops and various places of interest we could visit. What say you folks about round trip, 20 mile, 30 mile, 40 mile or go for the gusto and do 50 with a few intermissions?lol