Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 4 Stroke

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Grabbed wrong quote. Anyway, Baird mentioned 72 mph was slow.
I would disagree, especially on anything less than motorcycle tires. The difference between 60 mph and 70 mph is huge. 80 mph is the next big threshold. Every 10 mph faster takes a huge increase in horse power. 80 mph takes 22 hp from my experience. Don't forget altitude. Bonneville is at 4000'. At 90 degrees surface temp your talking over 7000' density altitude. Salt conditions vary, too. 70 mph at sea level on pavement is probably 62-64 mph on the salt. My APF250CC record is currently held with a "small block" 212cc engine.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i know, i was just ribbing scotto. i've got a 1969 honda CL175 scrambler i'm (slowly) restoring that'll do 75-80, but it's a real motorcyle and designed for it.

if i built a bicycle capable of those speeds i'd want to do it on a closed course with full safety gear, not on the 405 freeway in traffic. :)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
i know, i was just ribbing scotto. i've got a 1969 honda CL175 scrambler i'm (slowly) restoring that'll do 75-80, but it's a real motorcyle and designed for it.

if i built a bicycle capable of those speeds i'd want to do it on a closed course with full safety gear, not on the 405 freeway in traffic. :)
Gouge away little meat puppet, I'll smoke you on the track! My 212cc will do 85mph+ with gearing so flap away. Build something really fast or just Moped.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urJW5ed-5G4&list=RDd5qgLBrvcXo&index=13

I've done motorcycles all my life, my last bike was a Honda XR600, so please educate me :D

dnut

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I did a bunch of port work to my first China girl motor yesterday. I can't wait to get it on the bike and play with some gearing and see what it will do. So is there a way I could run a poll or something to see how many people are really interested in going to the salt flats and getting a good size class together?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers, LSR. To add a poll, click on "thread tools" above. A drop down menu will have a "add poll to this thread"

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I messed up setting up the pole and can't figure out how to take it down. If one of the mods could be so kind as to take it down for me I will put it back up correctly. Sorry for the mistake.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
What would you like to ask, LSR? I Can edit it for you.

LOL, we should take a poll to see about forming a committee to ascertain what should be asked about polling in the possible, near future if possible. Probably

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I think the poll should be kind of a head count on who would like to go. Also some input on classes. My guess is just two stroke an four stroke for classes because it would be difficult to have a turnout big enough to justify more.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wanted to put jet powered but it didn't give me the option of putting in a third choice, LSR.

Can just go to edit fields and change it.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks Dan! And I believe jet powered would be dominated by a select few people currently. Unless I get a really good tax return HA HA!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You're VW, LSR.

"There is some thing wrong with us, some thing really, really wrong with us.... "
LOL (from a movie, I forget. on jet power/ed)

But can make a pulse jet for next to nothing with just some pipe and a welder. Crazy dumb fun stuff! Bought a welder to make one but any muffler shop could make one for you. Just have to follow the diagrams. https://www.google.com/search?q=min...0l5.9240j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

Kids, don't blow yourselves up trying this at home. Leave that to us who are on a first name basis with the ER folks........

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Dan thanks for your help. I have been in the bicycle or motorcycle industry for most of my life and this mix is all new to me. I love the little China girl motor i bought and am lovingly building, porting, figuring out. my experience in the two fields has me building differntly than most on the board here. I am really enjoying the discussions and I am more than excited to break in my little motor then pin it and let you all know how my ideas work in the real world from my drawing board and calculator. Thanks again to Everyone.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
So cool LSR. These crazy lil things sure are addicting.

It is great to read folks getting so much out of our crazy.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
And Dan I like your movie quote "There is some thing wrong with us, some thing really, really wrong with us.... "
It really made me proud to be thought of that way hahaha