Strongest spoke setup on wheels

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I am wondering if there is a specific order to install the spokes in the wheel and hub to make it tougher and to avoid having to adjust the spokes every couple weeks to have them straight. I am waiting for 24x3 rims for the rear and will install 10g spokes and was wondering if there is a link where they show different spoke setups. I couldnt find anything.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
10g spokes? you're getting into motorcycle territory there... :)

i use either 11g (.120) or 12g (.105) for my wheels. i've been building wheels for a lot of years now, and i generally do a "4 cross" pattern (where each spoke crosses 4 other spokes.)

i've never had one go out of "true" out of all the wheels i've built up for motored bikes.

the main reason wheels go out of true (meaning they're wobbling back and forth or hopping up and down) is because the spoke tension isn't correct from the factory. wheels these days are built by machines, normally using a 3 cross pattern, and they're not done very well.

i could build a really strong wheel using 14g spokes if i wanted to, just by building it right.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
To add to what Baird said the spokes should also be stressed several times during the assembly and during the truing to make sure every thing is seated correctly.

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
predator 303, have you finished this rim with 10g spokes? how did it turn out? pictures?
i just ripped and bent my rim so i'm thinking of doing this as well.

bajaracer1

Jul 11, 2012
Encino ca.
do you mind measuring the diameter of the nipples that hold the spokes? i have a thin wheel and i don't think i can drill my holes any larger than 6mm.
let me know.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
10g spokes? you're getting into motorcycle territory there... :)

i use either 11g (.120) or 12g (.105) for my wheels. i've been building wheels for a lot of years now, and i generally do a "4 cross" pattern (where each spoke crosses 4 other spokes.)

i've never had one go out of "true" out of all the wheels i've built up for motored bikes.

the main reason wheels go out of true (meaning they're wobbling back and forth or hopping up and down) is because the spoke tension isn't correct from the factory. wheels these days are built by machines, normally using a 3 cross pattern, and they're not done very well.

i could build a really strong wheel using 14g spokes if i wanted to, just by building it right.
Baird,
I wish you were still coming to the races because I can't picture the 4 cross pattern your talking about. At the last race I snapped 4 spokes so I'm looking for a stronger way to lace up my rear wheel or I was think of going 10 gauge spokes.