AMCA Swap Meet - Denton Farmpark

GoldenMotor.com

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Here is a few pictures of Motor Bikes I saw at the swap meet;

DVCI0275.JPG DVCI0290.JPG DVCI0293.JPG

DVCI0297.JPG DVCI0299.JPG

There were several vintage bikes, whizzers, and simplexes there as well.
I'll post if them following.

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Here are a few of the vintage bicycles at the swap meet, came very close to buying the Western Flyer in the last photo. Any history on any of the bikes would be welcome.
DVCI0272.JPG DVCI0273.JPG

DVCI0276.JPG DVCI0277.JPG

DVCI0278.JPG

Mike

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Mike,
You must have felt like a kid in the candy store. I'd love to go to a bike swap meet some time. That second motorbike... is that a bicycle rototiller or what? Lot's of cool bikes asking for motors. Thanks for sharing.
SB

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Silver Bear

It was great, really had a great time. Plan on going next year.

That second Motor Bike looked to be a scooter rear end married to a bicycle front. Must have been built a long time ago, looked very original.

Here are some Simplex Servicycles. They are great and I thought could be an inspiration for a new Motor Bicycle design.

DVCI0279.JPG DVCI0280.JPG DVCI0281.JPG

Mike

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Mike,
Yeah, I figured that rototiller model would give a pretty rough ride unless you stayed in the garden. Glad to hear it had a wheel in the back. Ha!
Yes, I like that Simplex... super light weight and modest as a motorcycle, but a chunky boy compared to a bicycle... somewhere in between I guess. Nice sized seat, fat boy tires, no pedals. How did that start? I see some kind of foot lever or brake on the right up front... what is that, a kick start? Or did it pull start? Don't you wish somebody made those today instead of plastic Chinese scooters? It's an interesting form follows function frame design. I wonder how they performed and rode. I bet somebody here on the forum had one of those onceupona.
SB

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Silverbear,

It looked like it had a kick starter on the right side as well as some type of clutch setup. What was surprising is how small it was. Looked like it was made for kids.

Mike

Tom Bartlett

Jul 13, 2008
North Alabama
I totally agree with the comments about the Servi-Cycle. I love the '30s look and the light weight. I'm in the process of finishing one now....found a rusty frame and seat. I added Worksman wheels (with the front brake) and am now installing a Chinese Honda clone (Lifan) 4-speed with an electric start. Used the standard motorized bike sprocket bolted to the rear spokes. Now I need to finish the jack shaft to line up the drive chain. I'll see if I can attach an in-progress photo of the rolling frame.
Still having too much fun with motorized bikes.
Tom Bartlett

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I totally agree with the comments about the Servi-Cycle. I love the '30s look and the light weight. I'm in the process of finishing one now....found a rusty frame and seat. I added Worksman wheels (with the front brake) and am now installing a Chinese Honda clone (Lifan) 4-speed with an electric start. Used the standard motorized bike sprocket bolted to the rear spokes. Now I need to finish the jack shaft to line up the drive chain. I'll see if I can attach an in-progress photo of the rolling frame.
Tom Bartlett
hey Tom,
Boy is that nice! What size rims are those, 24"? Without pedals will you have to register it as a motorcycle or what? If it were original what would it be classified as... scooter, motorcycle? I hope you'll start a build thread so we can follow your progress. When were these made and where?
SB

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Tom Bartlett
Your bike is soo COOL please keep us posted with plenty of pics PLEASE.

Adam

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Tom,
Before this thread I'd never heard of the Simplex and have since done some looking on the internet, watched a few videos or them in action and have become enough of a fan that I'll be on the lookout for one. There's so much room in the frame for a newer engine that there are a lot of options. (I have no illusions about being able to afford a complete one with an engine ready to go). I like the way they look, too. Kind of in between motorcycle and motorized bike. I'd love to find one sometime to fool around with. And made in New Orleans, how cool is that?
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
LouieMcman, you da man!
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but I know I sure do like it. You've got to give us some more details on that awesome bike. What is it? The engine... the handlebars, bike frame, seat, rear rack... everywhere I look I like. Welcome to the forum. Wait til Crazy Horse sees this! Sorry about the accident and hope you didn't get hurt. Peace to you, Louie.
SB

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Specs are below...I basically made the whole thing. Frame, forks, bars, rack, ect. everything except the fenders and seat. Coolest features are the throttle linkages, 4 rods from the right pedal to the carb and the fan air routed through the frame and blowing on the front of the motor to cool. Thanks.

Louie

Peace Specs

Frame is 3" stainless steel tubing
Motor is 1936 Wisconsin AB
Comet torque converter
Worksman wheels
Air from fan is routed through frame and blows on front of cylinder
Homemade sprung front end
Drum brakes front and rear
Final belt drive
Homemade stainless steel handlebars
Rod control throttle through four linkages to carb
Stainless steel velocity stack intake
Ford Model A throttle and brake pedals
Custom kill switch lever through rear downtube
Homemade SS luggage rack
Lexan primary cover
Diamond plate running boards.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Louie,
I think I like that build as well as any I have seen. You have a really good sense of design and there's a lot of out of the box thinking there, not copying much of anything, but going your own way. Cool linkage to the carb, foot brake to the rear. I don't really understand the fan cooling setup, but see where it ends up on the front of the cylinder. How many horsepower is that? How's it handle? I think I'd rather ride that than a new Harley or any of the others. It is just right. I can see that with a sidecar... tooling along on a country road... oh, man.
I'd love to see a video to hear the engine running. You must have been doing this for some time now. I'm guessing this is what you do for a living?
SB

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Silverbear, I'm an engineer by trade but have been collecting and restoring antique motorcycles for close to 30 years. The Peace is a clone of a 1910 Pierce single. The fan blows air down into an airbox I made and up into the front down tube and onto the front of the cylinder. That idea came to me while building the frame. I worked on it for about two years off and on. I can't afford to buy antique bikes any more so I figured I would build my own with mostly stuff laying around the garage (because I'm real cheap). The first bike I built a couple years ago I named the Monroe then the Peace and now I'm starting on another that I'm making from a Indian Mini frame, see pic below.

Louie

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Louie, you have a lot of skill. I very much like the Monroe and it is a great bike, but the Peace is like rolling sculpture. If it was inspired by the Pierce single, then it, too, must have been a thing of beauty. I'm sure it turns heads wherever you go and must be a great satisfaction. The little Indian mini will no doubt look a good deal different when you are done with it. Around when would that have been made? Will you go with a different engine? I would imagine finding parts for that would be both difficult and expensive. I'm guessing you'll fabricate your own. It's obvious from your builds that you have a deep appreciation of the early motorcycles. You aren't alone and will find others here who are of like mind.
SB