Durable tire for reasonable price?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Looking for a tire that will last longer than a couple months. I put about 30-45 mi/wk on my 98cc cruiser. Would like to get a set of tires for around $75 or less. Running 26x1.95.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
maybe you can try this tire:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26" Tyre - Smart Guard

Should be around $25, and claims to be puncture proof. Seems to be true, because i have never had a puncture with this tire. However, it's only has 1.75in with its widest available size.

I've been using this, and it seems to have lasted more than any other tire i've tried and used. The reflective side walls also looks cool.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
No tires are better than Schwalbe. I put 5K miles on a set of Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS 382 with my touring bike and still had decent tread. I only replaced them because I was going on a 800 mile tour. About 2k miles of that 5k miles, I was fully loaded with over 350 lbs of myself, bike and gear. Never had a flat in 5k miles. I am at 1,800 miles on my other set and have never had a flat.

Buy yourself a pair of wire beaded Schwalbe. Many are E-bike rated.

Buy the Schwalbe tubes and you won't have to put air in your tires as often. Schwalbe tubes are a little more in price than other brands, but are better quality.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'll look into some Schwalbe's when I have the extra money. I thought I would have it with this paycheck, now not so sure. Definitely not running marathons if they don't come in 1.95 width though.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sounds like you are willing to spend a decent amount of money. With that big motor, a street slick may give longer tread life. Kenda, as well as others make them.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Had a pair of Kenda whitewalls before that lasted about a year. And for $15 apiece, can't go wrong. Wife has prime membership too, and those are prime eligible so that means free shipping too. I don't often see Kendas for that cheap. Maybe I don't look hard enough, but the last time I found kenda's for a good price was a couple years ago on ebay for $10 apiece with free shipping. That was on ebay, and haven't seen any for that good of a price since. Wife only recently got the Prime membership on amazon, so I do find some better deals there with free shipping. Just didn't expect to find any kenda's for a good price. Thanks dude!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
ChengShin C1218 are extremely durable and under $20 shipped. If you have access to Prime for Amazon, even better.

I put well over 10K miles on a black set of C1218 years ago. I reviewed the red C1218 on Amazon a few months ago.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
bbb,

You might want to look at Amazon review from Raleighphile, dated August 17, 2010. His full review states that the K838 is "pushing 2.25 inches". Might want to consider this if you can cancel your order or check to tires closely before installing them.

Sunlite Kwest Tire 26 x 1.95 is made by Kenda, but one Amazon reviewer states it is close to 2.05 inches wide. Price is right for $10.92 per tire. FYI, I have the 1.50 Kenda Kwest and it is 1.53 inches wide. It is a good tire and can be filled to 100 Psi.

Good Luck,

Chris

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Tires just got here. I can tell by looking at them that they are 1.95 width. I'm not sure what this raleighphile guy was talking about. Either way, they look very cool and have a sticky feel to the rubber, so they should grip really good on the street. I don't do any off-roading or trail riding at all, so that won't be a problem.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Glad to hear they will work for you. Maybe since the Amazon post was from 2010, the specs on the tire changed.

Keep us posted on the durability of your tires.

Chris

IlliniRider

Jul 4, 2012
Champaign IL.
bigbutterbean, I am curious about the new tires you installed. I want to replace the doubled Bell comfort tires that have been run for 4K+ miles with good tread life. New Holmes SS spokes cry out for new tires. The Kendas you purchased look nice, but how do they perform? I do all of my motorbiking on city streets. How puncture resistant do you rate the Kendas? Are you satisfied with the cornering feel? What wet weather experience can you add? Any additional comments from other members would be appreciated. Thanks!