Sprocket cover maintenance

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Is there anything under the sprocket cover that needs maintenance on a China Girl?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, you can remove the rod and ball bearing and put some grease on them. Also, put some grease on the "cam" that pushes in the rod.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes, you can remove the rod and ball bearing and put some grease on them. Also, put some grease on the "cam" that pushes in the rod.
Thanks for the reply. I'll do that tonight. I learned my lesson after waiting a little too long to lube my pinion gear.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
I remove my clutch arm and shaft and anti-seize the whole shaft and inside where it rides in the sprocket cover.
Easy to do just remove the three screws hold your clutch arm and turn your cover while slightly pulling down,you'll hit a flat spot in the shaft and the cover will come right off!
You might also want to get an "O"ring and slide it onto the shaft all the way to the clutch arm.This will help reduce the sloppy-ness and help keep the dirt out!
Make sure you clean the rod and ball bearing,and with a small flat screw driver try to clean out as much grease inside before you re-pack it.
Don't use any spray cleaner! check you rod if it has any sharp edges break them!
Don't go crazy on the edges!
I even polish it a little with 320 grit sand-paper.Kip.
[email protected]