Building a rear wheel for a 29 onex

GoldenMotor.com

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
I want to go ahead and start planning a replacement rear wheel for my 29 onex. Want to build something that will last longer than the entry level motorized rear wheel combination.

Looking for the right sprocket, hub, wheel combination. Have been doing research but this kind of info pretty limited.

Seems to me if I have a great rear wheel - I have a great foundation for my second build.

My current build will have a 4-stroke motor.

.... My first generation rear wheel .... just uses the standard kit you get from Bikeberry .... I figure this wheel will loose its trueness and spokes will bend over time ....

...just want to beef it up ....

.... while I am a noob to this and learning a great deal with my first build; it seems that rear wheel design with these sproket kits do no line up very well with the spokes.

... so I am will to spend 3 or 400 bucks and build a wheel with higher gauge spokes and a sprocket that will attach more appropriately.

... I have been researching the threads, but really running into walls.

.... just build a great wheel ....

.... who do I get the sprocket from .... for the 29'er ... seems that is where I need to start

...oh, where are my manners? ...

...thanks in advance ..... this my first post ..

.. so glad to have found this forum ....

Last edited:

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
OK, the Onex 29 I bought at Wally word has 48 spokes .... the bikeberry kit comes with a rag joint set up for a 36 spoke ....

... while I was able to install the rag joint ..... on the 48 spoke ...

... I know I am on borrowed time with this set up ..

.... so .. what should I do ....?

...want to stay with my onex and create a pragmatic design rear wheel assembly

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
Beautiful bikes ... !

... when I spin the wheel I notice that the sprocket is very slightly uncentered ...

... wondering if I would be better served to remove screws that collide with the spoke ( 1 out of every 3) so that I can properly center the sprocket ...

... or should I just proceed and let centrifugal help center the sprocket on its own ... ?

... or should I take the whole thing apart and replace all the spokes ..

... I may have put the sprocket on too tight ....

... quite an under-taking ....

...should I mount the engine first and then figure which way to dish the sprocket ....?

thanks

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
A proper rear wheel ..... for a 29 ..... cutting no corners

... a foundation ... for my next 29 that is not a class C frame ....

... I want to put a Class A rear wheel of a Class C frame ....

...later I will strip my class C frame and put everything on my class A frame ..

... a surly rim?
..36 spokes ?

...12 gauge spokes ?

...what kind of hub

... how many tooth sprocket

... a rear disk brake ....

... a sprocket adapter .....