simple covered trike ideas

GoldenMotor.com

douglasseattle

Oct 5, 2010
United States
I live in Seattle and I like the idea of commuting, but I HATE riding in the rain. My thought would be to design a trike with a full shell that is simple to build.

The idea would be to make a trike (velocar) that is:

1) easy to build starting with an already built recumbent
2) improved aerodynamics BUT still very simple with no where near the aerodynamics of the sophisticated models one might see in competitions
3) cheap
4) a full shell with decent protection from the elements
5) no special tools required
6) it must be DEPENDABLE and cheap to operate
7) not heavy
8) pedaling is used to make it legal
9) Green, electric is nice but too heavy and slow

I prefer a bike over a trike but as soon as a body is added it becomes a sail. Trikes take more room and it is much more difficult to jump around traffic unto a sidewalk

Some thoughts I have

Use a honda 35 or 50cc with a shift kit
Use coroplast
If bike were built use fabric sides which could be rolled back during windy periods

There used to be a guy who I would see riding his homemade duct taped vehicles as he commuted. They were not rockets but they were much faster than anyone on a racing bicycle. These looked bad, but seem like the right idea.

OK forum, let's see what you have

Thanks

Doug.trk

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
define special tools....

for an inclosed velo a rear rack mount motor would be the best option.... Exhaust gasses are not what you want to take a chance of having in your passenger compartment

as far as sidewalks go... in most states you are NOT allowed to ride on them anyway
OBEY all traffic laws don't make all of us look like jerks because of the actions of a few

as far as what to make a body out of... what ever your mind can think up
start reading ... HERE http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whatsup.htm#Fairing Building Projects

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought and option Doug, just a fairing and good foul weather gear. The good stuff lets your skin breathe and bends comfortably. It will still add "sail area" but could stay with 2 wheels. I stood on the bows of many ships staring at rain, snow, ice and some monster walls of water and I guarantee (pronounced garunteee) Never use a hood! Just catches water and drives it down your back. Ya ain't wet until yer butt crack is wet then your soaked. A good nor'easter hat lets the wind and rain pass by and ya can still hear better then a hood. Sou'easters work OK but not a fan of the look.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nor....,cf.osb&fp=a05ad1bd3a046263&biw=1024&bih=456

https://www.google.com/search?q=sou....,cf.osb&fp=a05ad1bd3a046263&biw=1024&bih=456

Purty awesome BA. Got me thunking. Racing fairing/wind deflector....

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i spent two years working he ocean lobstering and shrimping, and as for wearing a hood, only if it damn near seals round ur head, ive taken waves over the rail, and been out in conditions that make peopl S*** them selves. the best water proof jacket i ever found was a hauling jacket made by grundens they cost about 130 dollars light weight and can be set up easily to keep u warm and dry

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We occasionally see scooters on craigslist that have a polycarbonate canopy, but no doors. You may be able to adapt one of those scooter canopies to your motorbike.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
This would be great in the winter to keep the wind and drizzle off.
It costs about $450 shipped and wieghs around 10 lbs.